Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrera GT Sighting

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

Carrera GT Sighting

Merged onto the freeway this morning, saw THIS as I checked my mirrors!
    Just happened to have a camera handy.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Oh yeah, that was me Jared. Traded in the '68 S and a couple of bucks to boot.

I'll bet that got your heart rate up!

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Hmmm .... surprised not to see a 19-year old female in a beatup GrandAm with a space-saver spare on the right front drafting him at 100MPH on that section of freeway ......

Saw this one at Sebring. Must have been a fun road trip from New Hampshire.

GT On the 75N ????????

JCR :

I know that highway ...........is the 75 North going from Pontiac to Detroit . Am I alright ? . The shopping Plaza on your right is the Oakland Mall . I used to work in Michigan for 8 months in 2002 so that Photo of Marshall Field's seems familiar to me. Actually I have a good friend an (Automotive Designer) who happens to be a member of the PCNA in Michigan which introduced me to the Porsche World since then . He should know about that GT Actually.

That place (Michigan) means a lot to me professionally and Porsche- wise.
    Joe 912
    '68, 912
    Mexico
    Early 911S Registry # 1918

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Yeah, that's the spot - actually I-75 South... a CGT is a RARE sight round here. The Porsche Engineering Services Bldg is about 2 blocks east of where I took that pic. I was over there on business a few months ago and saw one in the back (see pics - the head engineer fired it up for me... INDOORS!) ... but it's a whole different thing to see one on the road. I expected it to have M plates (manufacturer) but it's privately registered. I then expected to see Keith Crain driving since I know he owns one - but it wasn't him.

Is your friend a real designer (aka stylist) or one of the many engineers round here who refer to themselves as designers (when will they find their own title)? I know several fellow designers in the PCA, so I may know him.

Curt - In true MI driving fashion, I was tempted to draft him with the X5 - but didn't want to get too close for fear one of our freshly minted spring road-blisters would send that carbon underbelly into my face!!

Jim... sorry I didn't recognize you driving! Boy, you've really put on some WEIGHT!
    Traded the 68 huh?? You got friggin' ROBBED dood!!!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Is it only me, or do others think when you see a car as dramatic as the Carrera GT in everyday traffic that it starts to look rather over-styled? I keep hearing the words 'kit car.... Gemballa.... Strosek.... Sbarro...' going through my head! I love the technology beneath the surface but just wish Porsche had managed to keep the lines a little more pure. Something tells me that in, say, ten years time, the GT is going to look very 'yesterday'.
    Cornwall
    UK

Well, I had an interesting temporary stablemate today ..... took my M3 in for a quick check of a problem and pulled up next to a Carrera GT just unloaded off the transporter! (Williams Porsche in Okemos, MI)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Is it only me, or do others think when you see a car as dramatic as the Carrera GT in everyday traffic that it starts to look rather over-styled?"

KS, I thought that might be the case until I saw one on the road. Styling of a lot of cars these days has become more extreme than say ten years ago. After spending a day following this one around on a road tour at Amelia Island a few weeks ago it starts to become familiar and fit in with all the other unusual cars that were around that weekend.

So, are they all silver now? Other than one in yellow and one in black, the majority I've seen have been silver. I think someone needs to order one in Viper Green or Signal Orange or something!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

It's probably a case of costs. Silver and black seem safe to the world. Choosing another color and deciding you hate it could cost ya dearly on that car...lol
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330