Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chassis Number Locations

Scott, the carpet is glued down tight on the tunnel so I wasn't able to check that. And my radio is in the way of the knee pad nut so nogo there. I just searched my front lid for a number but couldn't find one.

Is your 69E a Karmann car too?
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Updated my earlier post with the production number.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    The complete production number appears in two places, both accessible from inside the passenger compartment . . .
    . . . The 1st is under the dash, below the radio opening, under/behind the knee-pad
    . . . The 2nd is along the edge of the access port for the shift-rod coupler at the rear of the trans tunnel . . . aka shift-rod coupler plate

Now all this is Old Stuff . . . some other threads . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...cret+number%27

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread....-number-coding

(Especially interesting is post #38)
    Post # 38 , and the thread is mine. I've been researching these for a while, but need much more data. What I find interesting is that on the cars noted in this thread, the numbers match; usually that is NOT the case. Perhaps at some point they got them in sync. I call the one on the tunnel (or earlier in the speaker recess on top of the dash) the Karmann body # as opposed to the Porsche production # stamped on the dash frame, and written in crayon on the cowl. I would appreciate any VIN & production # combos that you are willing to PM me.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    . . . Post # 38 , and the thread is mine . . . been researching these for a while, but need much more data . . . interesting . . . that . . . the numbers match; usually that is NOT the case . . .
    You're absolutely right, Dave . . . and I should've under-lined that particular point

Short version --- dash and tunnel #s do NOT always 'match'

So --- The Question is --- for those of you w/ Karmann-built vehicles w/ differing dash + tunnel numbers . . . which number do you doors + lids + ??? match-up up to?

The Dash Number? . . .

. . . or The Tunnel Number?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Ok, so now you got me to pull the carpet loose in the tunnel. My numbers match, I will PM them to Dave. Again, this is a late production 71 T.

Thanks Mike. I've done some more digging, and it would appear from the 3 data points that the two production #'s may match from the 1970 model year. However I am quite concerned with the VIN and production # pairings. To be sure I will need much more data.

I contacted Porsche Stuttgart with my number but they were no help since the motorsport department only moved to Stuttgart in 1983 and didn't keep the info on motorport shells and the production did not keep the records for spare bodies...
    It's a historic rally car from the seventies.
    Anybody?
    Name:  DSC_1671.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  70.9 KB
    Last edited by Rallychamp97; 12-06-2012 at 01:51 AM.

I finally took a look at my 71T built not too far in front of Mike's. Mine has a 3/71 build date and is sequence number 1839. I will have to look up my production stamping on the dash again, but I found the stampings on the doors and engine lid. All three of those are 59. IIRC, the dash stamped production number ended in 59 also. I looked at the tunnel area but that stamp area is pretty goobered up with factory black paint and glue residue so could not make out any numbers.

Pretty cool little factoid that will help ID a matching numbers car even further (for Karmann built cars anyway).
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 12-07-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by Rallychamp97 View Post
    It's a historic rally car from the seventies. 0000031
    This appears to be a spare chassis from 1980 or possibly from 1970.
    In 1980 a large number of these chassis were converted by Kremer into 935 K3/80; the highest # I had previously was 0000029.For some reason the majority of these chassis (000 000 10 to 000 000 28) had an extra 0 on the production # which is very strange.
    The extra 0 also appears in several other years, mostly in relation to race car bodies.
    As for the possibility that it is a 1970 spare body shell, I think it unlikely. I have no 1970 data, and very little data for most years except 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    . . . appears to be a spare chassis from 1980 or possibly from 1970 . . .

. . . I have no 1970 data, and very little data for most years except 1980 . . .

Well --- here's the production number on my car, a '70 . . .

. . . not very-like the one discussed

Any more details/pics to share? Sounds like an interesting vehicle, regardless

And some more posts . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . .

5) The Money Shot. Notice the finishing --- these numbers almost look gouged-out + metal still raw . . . the paint (brushed-on/-over) --- w/ a big ole drip!

Here's some other threads on production numbers + their interpretation . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...00-Dash-Number
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post481472 . . .

HtH

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes