Thread: Sport Purpose Interior Improvements in my 70S

Sport Purpose Interior Improvements in my 70S

Ive recently changed a few things in the interior of my car to suit my tastes. The biggest change is a pair of Scheel Model 300 fiberglass buckets. The drivers side bucket with the original upholstery came from Robert Gross in Canada. The other seat with the more modern cloth cover came from Eric McKenna. Other than the upholstery, they are a matched set. I figure I will have them both re-done over the winter so that they will match, but they still look pretty cool as is!

Does anyone have a spare Scheel headrest or a scheel emblem?? Also, if anyone has a junk stock seat, I need to buy the headrest reciever tubes so that I can put them into my pass seat.

I seriously considered a pair of Peter Z seats, but I really like having original period correct pieces on my car even if they may have some patina.

In the pic, you may notice my early large diameter, flat-spoke Momo prototipo steering wheel that I found last summer. Finally, one of the newest additions is the Vic Elford autographed sun visor for inspiration!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

sweet! i like your logic about the patina. scheels are becoming very hard to find and look really great in these ol' cars. i can see a set of RS door panels in the future - yeah?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Copycat Dave, How long did it take to receive your seat? I've got a similar overdue shipment.

Looks really nice truly. Now I really have to paint my car silver and you have to keep yours black. Don't worry, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to tell us apart. I'm debating the whole recover idea myself. The patina of my Scheels is fabulous. I thought of the houndstooth that I have but, am woried that it wont look right.

Having never sat in a Peter Z seat, I can't imagine it feeling better than these Scheels though. I could sleep in em!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Dave,

I just noticed my headrests are different than yours. Could you post some close ups of it and I'll post some of mine?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael,
    I will try to get a better pic this w-e.
    The seat took nearly 6 weeks even though Robert shipped it immediatly. Apparently it got caught up in customs. I could have ridden it from Toronto on a bicycle in that amount of time.

Bob, I thought about the RS panels, but I worked so hard to get those nice door pockets that I hate to take them off now
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Dave-
    I'm in the same boat concerning the emblems for my seats, which Scheel tells me are model 561S. Scheel said that they had no parts for seats that old. Someone said that they have seen the emblems on German Ebay. I look every week, and have not seen any. I'm thinking that it might be possible to make some new leather or vinyl button covers. Anyone know how one prints on either of those materials? The photo is the type my seats should have, but I would prefer the logo not to be crooked!
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Dave,

Olivia looks much better with old Scheels than new Peter Z's, much more character. I'm sure Vic would approve.

Thanks again for the use of the seat at the Taj. I finally picked up the Targa today, the new motor rocks.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I heard a guy is gonna put dozens of those buttons up for sale at Emory's -- and they are _only_ going to be $85 each!

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds
    Dave,
    Olivia looks much better with old Scheels than new Peter Z's, much more character. I'm sure Vic would approve.
    You know, I think you might have something there..

Everyone seems to want to build a "typical" R Gruppe type 911. You know - RS clone in white with Peter Z seats, a Prototipo and a 2.7RS engine with sport pipes... boring.

Here's my idea of a "suprising" R Gruppe 911: slate gray paint on a sunroof narrow body, vintage Scheel buckets, Nardi wheel, black 7x15 cookie cutters, and a 2.5L with Bursch muffler.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Randy W,
    Not sure if you are being serious or toungue-in-cheek.

Its tough to be truly original when building an RGruppe 911.

I look at it like I would if I was building a 32 Ford roadster. You can only do so much while still looking "right". If I were to build one, it would be a black highboy with a early "small balancer" 327 chevy, Magnesium skinny Americans on the front and 16x10 mag americans on the rear with Firestone dirt-tracks.(also acceptable would be Halibrands). It would have a red interior, hairpin radius rods and a quiki-change in the rear. It would be a bitchin car, but would certainly not be "original" Its hard to do anything but primary colors and period accesories on a deuce and expect it to be timeless.

Personally I feel that the RS look is a bit overdone now, but what a great look it is! There are days that I look at my car an envision it with RS flares but without the duck-tail.

Anyway, my goal with my car is to keep it as a fairly stock 70 S while individualizing it with period accesories - on a budget. (toughest componant of that equation)

Here is some pics of a timeless 32 and a timeless 911 (the 911 is Robert Gross's car and has been my desktop wallpaper for a few months now. Love that car!
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439