Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with THIS???

They haven't updated their website. Most of the parts and or cars are gone. I checked on these back in March. I think they use the cars as teasers to get you to respond. They do have a large inventory though.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

I think this car is very repairable. It would be a shame if it was not fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    for only the VIN plates?

Currently, they are quite valuable!

Yeah, me again. Shawn.
    You nailed it Shawn...there are counterfeit "S" cars out there...not hard to do, all it takes is a solid "T" body and knowing where all the (used to be) "secret" markings are. Soon, we'll be hearing: "Porsche made 1750 911S coupes in 1972, and only 1830 of them are left".
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

How Can You Make A Fake S ??

The 4th And 5th Number Of The Chassis Number Tells Exactly The Year And Model Of All Porsches After 1969..

9113300123 = 1973 911s Coupe #123

The System Is Very Simple..

911.. First!

Then The Next Number Is The Year 0=1970, 1=1971, 2=1972 3=1973 Ect....

The Next Number Is The Engine Type..1=911 T, 2=911 E, 3=911 S And 6= RS..

The Next Number Is Either A 0 Or 1 ( Coupe Or Targa) ..
    Some Cars Sporto/euro Have Another Number Next..

Then The Production Number..

The Engine Numbers Work Almost The Same..6331234= 1973 911 S..#1234

Unless You Were A Magician With Metal Fabrication Especially Around The Front ID Number Near The Tank (IT IS EASY TO FEEL UNDERNEATH).. Plus Wanted To Comit A Felony By Altering All Of The Other Chassis And Engine Numbers It Would Be Tough To Try To Pass A Clone Car Off As Original

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu
    The 4th And 5th Number Of The Chassis Number Tells Exactly The Year And Model Of All Porsches After 1969..

9113300123 = 1973 911s Coupe #123

The System Is Very Simple..

911.. First!

Then The Next Number Is The Year 0=1970, 1=1971, 2=1972 3=1973 Ect....

The Next Number Is The Engine Type..1=911 T, 2=911 E, 3=911 S And 6= RS..

The Next Number Is Either A 0 Or 1 ( Coupe Or Targa) ..
    Some Cars Sporto/euro Have Another Number Next..

Then The Production Number..

The Engine Numbers Work Almost The Same..6331234= 1973 911 S..#1234

Unless You Were A Magician With Metal Fabrication Especially Around The Front ID Number Near The Tank (IT IS EASY TO FEEL UNDERNEATH).. Plus Wanted To Comit A Felony By Altering All Of The Other Chassis And Engine Numbers It Would Be Tough To Try To Pass A Clone Car Off As Original
    I didn't say it was easy, I just said that it's been done. I have proof filed away...Buy a totaled or rust bucket genuine S...buy a solid 911T...The T goes on living as an S, the S gets sent to the crusher with the 911T's ID...The state's paper shufflers never know the difference. Probably don't care...just as long as the paperwork "looks" right.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Huh?

I agree it would not be very difficult to do the Vin swap- not difficult at all.

The number near the tank simply gets cut out, same for the donor car - then a little welding and grinding - viola your in business.

To clarify -the "S" vin # gets cut out literaly - and with lots of metal around it to spare - be easier to weld and room for error.... - it then gets welded in the "T" body

The other #'s and stickers just swap right over.....

I won't talk about the secret numbers.

Maybe I am being naive - but I think it could be done in a weekend, easy.

I know of a 72E in Colorado with a VIN exceeding production numbers - oops.

Car was from Canada - more than likely stolen from Cali in the 80's - now in Colorado as 72E... who knows what it was originaly.??

later

It might be easy enough to cut and weld a number, but it's not so easy to fool the experts in these cars. I don't just mean the "experts"...I mean the real EXPERTS.

It would suck to spend a ton of money on a fake S with S engine and gearbox and all the details, just to get found out and have the car black-balled.

Actually, now that I think about it, that would be funny as hell!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    It might be easy enough to cut and weld a number, but it's not so easy to fool the experts in these cars. I don't just mean the "experts"...I mean the real EXPERTS.

It would suck to spend a ton of money on a fake S with S engine and gearbox and all the details, just to get found out and have the car black-balled.

Actually, now that I think about it, that would be funny as hell!
    Maybe I've said too much already...but I have to add this one. One of the real EXPERTS on this board...a guy who buys, sells, and restores, has indeed been fooled by the counterfeit that I know of...and like I said, I DO have proof on file. Buyer beware!!!

Jeeze Paul, a little discouragement pa-leeeeeze!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Offered as a caution...as the values climb, the possibility of running into counterfeits for sale increases. This has happened with cars far more difficult to counterfeit than the early S. We'd be foolish to think it can't happen with our cars. The car I know of was done for ego reasons, primarily. I hope it doesn't enter the market. I don't think it will. If it does, I'll probably be doing some loud whistle blowing, with documentation and witnesses to back me up.