Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelican = Big Brother

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Thumbs down Pelican = Big Brother

I appreciate this discussion board all the more given the way Pelican shuts down threads if somebody says something they don't like. Be careful what you say on their board. There are certain words that are banned.

don

Examples? I am curious because I ahve never had problems. Profanity isn't allowed, which I could give a s#!t about , but I am wondering if they censor content, too.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

You definitely do NOT want to mention the name of a competitor in the parts biz...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I grow a bit tired to be reminded everytime that the business supports the board, while in fact its the other way around. But still, I now of no equal bbs if it comes to technical knowledge. The swift and knowledgeable answers keep amazing me
    Peter Stey
    1973 T Coupe with 2.7MFI
    1970 S Targa (sold but not forgotten)

More than Original

Thumbs up

Wah Wah (insert crying smilie here)!

They have every right to edit content on their board, it's a business not a free service. The amount of info on the Pelican Board is amazing. If you have ever met Wayne you would no he plays fair and is stellar member of the Porsche community.

Pelican =
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

I've only seen them shut down threads when things get messy....for the most part.

The one rule they have which works sometimes, and other times doesn't, is:

They won't allow opinion based comments on cars for sale, which in a current situation, in my opinion, it was not right to shut down the thread. It involves a 73S being offered by Cars Dawdiak in SF (on Ebay, it's the silver car with the bass boat paint job), and one person who had it PPI'd said some potentially negative things about the car. The owner of the shop, Walter Dawdiak got on the board, and a semi-pi$$ing contest started, but was shut down by the moderator Noah Pollak...and I believe he deleted the thread as well.

I also believe that's what dhopkins is referring to...if so, I agree with him on this one....it's an Ebay auction, not a directly offered car, and shut get some opinions.

Regarding this particular car, you can get a ppi very easily from Alan at "The Stable", literally 1 block away. Alan has told me that he does PPI's at customer requests on cars from Dawdiak....

regards,
    E

Pelican is the best technical resource on the net. The problem is it has become 95% redundant - pretty much every technical problem has been discussed. A simple search of the archives is all that's needed. There's VERY little new information posted there. So the board has slowly transformed into one where the threads are either redundant or adolescent pissing contests or both.

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Thumbs down

One specific example. You are not allowed to discuss the pluses or minuses of particular cars for sale on Ebay or for sale on Pelican.

don

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    One specific example. You are not allowed to discuss the pluses or minuses of particular cars for sale on Ebay or for sale on Pelican.

don
    Ahhh, but we can still do that here!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I really dont feel Pelican is big-brother, rather a great source for technical information & general Porsche interaction. Like any BBS...sometimes things get out of hand.
    This board is awesome.....Iam now learning a ton on the early cars