Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Installing Through the Grill Foglights?

Help Installing Through the Grill Foglights?

I have a complete new old stock dealer kit for Porsche through the grill foglights. It includes the wiring harness, switch, brackets, lights, grills, and all other hardware and trim. I would like to mount these, but I have no idea how to do it. Have any of you ever installed through the grill foglights yourselves? I would really appreciate having someone to consult with on how to do this right.

Silver Surfer
    73 911S Silver Sunroof Coupe
    No foglights (yet)

I've never installed them. It would be one hell of a drive for you, but you're welcome to come down & peek at my factory installed units. I'd frown on taking the car apart too deeply though...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul, I would be terrified to take yours apart. I will take you up on your offer the first opportunity I have, if only to get a closer look at that beautiful car of yours.

I recently reinstalled mine, one bolt through the top of the battery box and one through the front, but would like to know how the nut which retains the light assembley bracket to the light can be effectively tightened considering the space limitations behind the bracket.

The only solution I have heard is buy a cheap wrench, heat it up and bend it so it will reach.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

You might try tightening it up before installing it to the bracket...

I think when I installed mine, I left the horn grill loose, tightened the bracket up and then screwed the grill in. Not much room to work in there.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    I recently reinstalled mine, one bolt through the top of the battery box and one through the front, but would like to know how the nut which retains the light assembley bracket to the light can be effectively tightened considering the space limitations behind the bracket.

The only solution I have heard is buy a cheap wrench, heat it up and bend it so it will reach.
    This is where Harbor Freight tools comes in handy...selling cheap wrench sets that you don't mind chopping up.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The only thing I can figure out from your suggestion, other than tool bending, is to take the bracket out, and attach the light assembly directly to it, after positioning the horn grill in between, then bolting in the bracket. Sounds like a good couple hours of fun. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Can someone tell me what those thru the grill foglights are called.
    Hella # ? What is the going rate on a nice pair these days?

thanks

Daniel Stern of Daniel Stern Lighting told me that they are now sold as back up lights for tractors and such, but others have posted here saying that's not so. So, I don't know. If you have the resources to do so, you might check out Hella# 2ZR001173091. (edit) Warning though...the ones made today will NOT have the same lenses fitted as came on the USA equipment cars back in the day...