Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Crazy Ebay Prices

Everybody has an opinion, I guess...but Don, do I detect a wee bit of sour grapes here? My thinking is that the reserve on the green T was probably $35K. Guess we'll never know now...unless it pops up again.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Nah......I just don't buy it when a seller says.."I got to get at least $X b/c thats what I have invested.

don

Right on the money 72S..........this is an unrestored car that's not perfect, but damn nice. I have never run a car on ebay before and will probably never run one again - I must admit, there's no shortage of opinions on this board coming from both directions......hmmmm..... very healthy I suppose but I'm afraid it seems that the most frequent ones I noticed in this instance are from folks that really don't know what they're talking about. My situation basically called for a reduction in 911s.......I can only drive one at a time and have had many people offer to buy (like I'm sure many of you have as well) my car for years and I thought it might be the right time to let one go - while it is still in top shape. Yes, I have seen the market strengthen over the past couple of years and took that into consideration as I pondered selling but alas, the car is still in my garage - I drove it this morning thinking it could be the last go around and had forgotten how much fun it was and how cool it was to roll the windows up and actually be in really tight coupe (other car is a targa - with oh yeah....CIS and I love it too!). Finally, some things happen for a reason and maybe it just wasn't the right time to part with the old 72. I appreciate the compliments as well as the comentary.........enjoy life while you can.........it won't last forever!

-rick Registry #699
    -72 911T coupe irish green
    -75 911S 'silver anniversary' targa vin #0070

And PS to you Don.............I never said anything about what I had invested.
    It's simply an auction, they have been going on for many, many years and I don't have near that much money in my car.

-rick #699

Crazy Ebay Prices

I've enjoyed following this thread & it's sub threads. Back in April I put two of my early cars on the market, a 69 911t rgruppe 2.9 & a restored 71 911e. I started with this board & also included the Pelicans, sat back & thought this would be easy! Especially with pricing of $29 & $24k respectively. Lots of picture requests but thats it.
    I have not gone to Ebay as yet. I'm not sure why, I'm a stockholder & have been quite active on Ebay. I guess it was my interest in passing ownership to like minded enthusiasts as opposed to the flippers. Watching the recent auctions discussed here is probably going to change my mind.
    My five early cars are three with Webers or PMo's & two have MFI. It is hard to argue the instant response & the motor sound of the carbs but properly done MFI is also fantastic. This thread has me looking forward to looking at a 73.5.

Joe Delleville
    Early S Registy # 556

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    I really think that figuring the value of a car based on how much it would require to duplicate it is the wrong way to look at it. It is the norm for the market to pay much less than what the owner has invested. If someone invests money to make a nice car they are making a financial mistake. They are paying for the pleasure of seeing a car improve investment by investment. The buyer of a car that is already near perfect does not get that pleasure. The car is already fixed up. It is worth less b/c the pleasure of fixing up went to the seller. The price is not determined by how much has been invested or how much it would cost to duplicate but how much must I pay to beat the guy who is willing to paying almost as much. But nice cars on Ebay frequently don't make their researve b/c the seller is thinking about how much they have invested but that figure is not relevant to potential buyers. If you pay a seller what they have invested you are paying too much.

don

Don,
    I quite agree here, you may be surprised to hear. My ONLY point was...here are two ways to acquire this car. 1) Buy this one on EBay now, as it is available, or 2) Buy a lesser car and try to create one as nice. From the buyers POV this is valis, i think, tho my $$$ ma be too conservative, there are economies if one is able to do some things on their own, etc..

As far as SELLING a car on EBay goes, I would say that the mass of "EBAY buyers" out there is very adept at discovering your reserve, and not spending over it by any more than absolutely necessary. This is NOT the same crowd that populates the tents on a August evening in Monterey, I can tell you. This is a much more avaricious, much more diverse group of fortune hunters, I assure you!!!

Just my opinions, based on a few years of selling & buying cars of a more mundane variety on EBay and other venues..YMMV. Of course..
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    Ebay has a competitive element where people bid higher than they would normally just to win. After they win they have buyers regret. To be a bidder on Ebay you have to decide how high you are willing to go and then walk away when the price goes higher. I have now bought a total of 4 Porsches. Two were purchased on Ebay (1970 914, 1969 911S) and two non-Ebay (1981 911SC, 1963 356B). I think I overpaid on both of the Ebay cars but not on the others.

don

Crazy ebay prices

I am very interested in all your comments. I would like to say that I've had, so far so good, luck with ebay both buying and selling cars. I just joined the registry as I have ended up with a very nice 1966 911 and would like to move it. I hope to end up with a 69-73 coupe. Anyway, you all seem to agree on the supply demand theory. I agree. There are good and bad cars everywhere, you just have to go and look. If e-bay is driving up the prices, well ok. As long as the percentage in switching up doesn't change. Don't give up on e-bay, just be careful!! Nice to be a part of this group. Jim