Thread: Early CD Equipped Breakerless Module

Early CD Equipped Breakerless Module

Has anyone tried the Crane Cams XR700 Ignition module on an early CD equipped car, such as a '68S? I've used the Pertronix unit on a 356 with favorable results and would like to consider eliminating the points on the S. Any shared experience with installation/performance/reliability would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

I think Sherwood said he is? I asked him about his Crane setup once, but can't remember what year his car is.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Hey Jim,
    I tried the XR700 on my 73S. I did not have a CD box at the time and did not want to mess with the points. Well first off hooking it up no problem at all. Started and ran fine but over 5000 rpm and it fell apart, meaning it back fired and shot four foot flames out the back (no muffler). Put on the muffler and decided that maybe the jets (had carbs) were too large (135). Started up and not as radical of a back fire. went to 36 venturis. Heck its an S I have no bottom end anyhow. No change on the braking up but had a neat air sucking sound that would pull your hat off. Anyhow long story long put a cd unit on it and new points. Presto runs like a raped ape, no flames, no breaking up all the way to 7800. I am still running the 36 venturis and now 150 jets. Got to love sea level in FL. Oh by the way if you want the Crane give me your address but i really don't wish the bad luck on anyone.
    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

My '68 L had an Allison optical ignition (same as Crane's XR700) when I bought the car, no CD though. It has worked well on my car in the 10 years I have owned it. I found it a pain to set up, but once set it works well. I do not know what, if any changes Crane has done to this system since they took over Allison's product.
    Joe
    Now - 1993 C2
    Past - 1968 911L