Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTS Classic Seat Sampler

GTS Classic Seat Sampler

I've currently got some knock-off RSR style buckets but I have found that, now that I have made some brackets to tilt them to a more comfortable angle, the wide, tall bolsters interfere with gearshift operation, taking away some pleasure from the twisty backroads drives this car is for (I'm dialing back the racecar a bit). I also find that if I want to put my arms down the bolsters force my shoulders forward (the seat is too narrow up top, just about right in the hips though). That and a few quality issues with them mean that I'm considering some new seats from GTS Classics, but I would like to be able to sit in them before purchasing. I'm hoping someone nearby to Ventura County or Los Angeles might have the following seats I'm interested in and allow me to try one out.

The models I'm interested in are:
    Le Mans (I like that it's the lightest).
    Hockenheim (looks more supportive than the Le Mans but otherwise similar).
    ST (I think this one will have too much bolstering like my current ones, but it's hard to tell just from photos).

Here's a picture of what I have currently for the obligatory photo content:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

"Dialing" in shit like this is 1/2 the fun tho.
    My personal view is that if the seats feel good why not just alter the gear lever shaft ( keep your stock lever) and play around.
    Totally understand the desire to put your arms 'down' but an RSR seat even a knock off was not really intended for the 'holding hand's' kind of driving.
    Look at the cheap n easy middle ground I recon.
    Mark

I agree with that, moreover, the closer the lever is to the steering wheel the more the hand is on it
    #rennfrog

From a safety aspect I wouldn't go leMans - a "bucket" Style seat without holes for a 4 point harness is crap.

If you aren't stuck on a period correct bucket, I'd go with the profi SPG XL buckets. They are quite comfortable while providing much more support and safety. You can get leather bolsters made for them, as well as custom inserts (pepita, cord, etc).

Like Uai, I don't get the choices around restraints in the period correct repros. I wouldn't drive on a road without an anti-submarine harness. Friction belts are a safer choice than the four points.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

I would be keeping my 6 point harnesses, GTS offers options to have both the lap belt and anti-sub pass-throughs so that should be of equivalent safety to what I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    From a safety aspect I wouldn't go leMans - a "bucket" Style seat without holes for a 4 point harness is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    If you aren't stuck on a period correct bucket, I'd go with the profi SPG XL buckets. They are quite comfortable while providing much more support and safety. You can get leather bolsters made for them, as well as custom inserts (pepita, cord, etc).

Like Uai, I don't get the choices around restraints in the period correct repros. I wouldn't drive on a road without an anti-submarine harness. Friction belts are a safer choice than the four points.

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    "Dialing" in shit like this is 1/2 the fun tho.
    My personal view is that if the seats feel good why not just alter the gear lever shaft ( keep your stock lever) and play around.
    Totally understand the desire to put your arms 'down' but an RSR seat even a knock off was not really intended for the 'holding hand's' kind of driving.
    Look at the cheap n easy middle ground I recon.
    I can understand the theory, but the fact is the car is now more of a cruiser so having the ability to lower my arms from straight out would be much appreciated. At least I don't get a sore neck from the overly-upright position they were in before (exacerbated by my shoulders being forced forward by the side bolsters).

I thought about lengthening the shifter significantly to try and clear the bolsters but it seemed like the foam would still be touching. I settled for having it a bit further forward than I would like, and I just installed a Wevo shift coupler to reduce the throw, but I don't have miles on it to see how I like it. Definitely noticeable in the garage though without the stock shift coupler slop.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's opinions on the comfort of the models I'm interested in.

Recaro Profi

. . . If you aren't stuck on a period correct bucket, I'd go with the profi SPG XL buckets . . .
    Hear-hear . . .

. . . best seat I ever had --- worth every penny . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post564823

Got WAY over 300k mi on it. Took it with me when the car left . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1141392

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

How did you like the fixed headrest? I do like the tilt adjustment to be able to stretch my neck a bit on long drives, like up to Monterey, but I think having the seats tilted back like I do now should relieve the neck pain I had before. How do those compare to the lollipops?

If you aren't stuck on a period correct bucket, I'd go with the profi SPG XL buckets.
    I'll add to that. I've used Recaro Pole Positions many times. It is FIA approved but still is mild. You don't have to "climb" into the car versus other more serious FIA approved seats, such as a Recaro SPG pro racer. Additionally, period correct in function and modern in safety isn't a bad look. If anything, modern safety looks great in a longhood imo. I would check out Peter Auto 2.0L Cup SWB builds to get an idea of it.

Here's a pic of an FIA 2.0L Cup car with a Recaro Pole Position:

Name:  IMG_0928-1024x617.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  95.2 KB
    1969 Porsche 912 Hot rod w/ 2.2 911e drivetrain
    Track 2002 Honda S2000
    Period Correct track 1990 civic si (nasa tt6)