Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 1968 911L roll call

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    What floor pan? All I see is asphalt.
    Wow! That makes my little 3" slit in the floor look like small potatoes. Dave at TRE has taken pity on me and is going to cut a 10" square out of an old pan he has laying around and send it to me. After getting that welded in and a little POR-15 treatment on a few other spots where the undercoating has failed, my little T/R project will be set with a very dry and solid tub. After stripping it down and crawling all around and under it now for the last week, I am amazed at the condition it is in after 37 years. This car had to have spent its whole life in CA and been garaged a good deal of the time. Right under the floor insulation where people step into the car, it appears vulnerable to water intrusion and breaching of the coatings. I also found evidence of a previous repair to the left front suspension mount, right where the battery acid can have ill effects on these SWB cars. It is in great shape otherwise. I'm stoked! Who needs galvanizing?

TT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

See now...

that is just the sort of repair that I would like to learn how to perform. Tom, I will drive down (actually it is mostly over) for that event. May I assist with this surgery Dr. Tweed? Really, I am not kidding. I want in on this.

As long as you do not mind some old goofy foot Capitola CA surfer parking an ugly green car on your driveway. Not an oil dripper.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I want in on this.
    Sure, Shawn, I'll let you know when it's happening. Still need to get the piece from TRE, then I'm going to get a tinner I know who did the RS flares on my '73 to put it in. My welding skills are not up to the task. I am a wood-butcher by trade.

If it looked like this I could handle it.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

well, well... nothing quite like dredging-up old threads, right? -I just figured I'd add our 911L to the fray. #11810193 just arrived in the Bay Area. Originally Ossi Blue, now a cheap brothel red, it needs pans and rockers, but is essentially all there. It arrived with a '73T engine installed, but after some serious digging I located the original 130hp 911L lump... it is currently the base of a shiny, glass-topped coffee table in an Oklahoma den. I'm in negotiations with the owner to replace his wonderful 901/06 coffee table with something that has a bit less horsepower.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Quote Originally Posted by bxd View Post
    ...but after some serious digging I located the original 130hp 911L lump... it is currently the base of a shiny, glass-topped coffee table in an Oklahoma den. I'm in negotiations with the owner to replace his wonderful 901/06 coffee table with something that has a bit less horsepower.
    How on earth did you track that down? That's a story worth telling !
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I'm not sure how interesting this really is, and I hate hijacking threads, but highlights are as follows. When speaking to the PO, he mentioned that the car had some race history and that the original engine had been removed to be "rebuilt" at some shop. I though to myself "oh great, it's probably in some battered old PCA auto-cross sled, tweaked to within an inch of its metallurgical life...". --I had no idea how wrong that thought was.

He said one the previous owners might know where the engine landed, and that he thought maybe the brother-in-law of the guy who owned the car prior to the guy he bought the car from may have something to do with it (yes, that's previous-previous-previous owner's brother-in-law). As part of the deal, he was going to pass the contact info on to me.

When the car arrived I skimmed through the paperwork and after some scrutiny found a name and phone number in the margin of a dirty, hand-written note. I called this multiple times and got no answer. I scoured Google for contact info for some of the previous owners, but didn't get much beyond disconnected cell phones and dead emails addresses.

A few nights later I was at my desk doing some research on "L" race cars and '68 FIA homologation rules and went back into the car's paperwork to find something. Thumbing through, I came upon an inner page of a multi-page work order from 2001 that contained another hand-scrawled name and phone number. The next morning I called. This cell phone wasn't disconnected, and the name in the voice message was the right name, so I left a message. Then I waited...called again, waited.

I called a third time and finally got an answer. Turns-out this guy IS the brother-in-law of the previous-previous-previous owner, and upon realizing that I had accidentally bumped right into the very guy I needed, I quickly and apologetically told him the story and asked if he possibly knew the whereabouts of the engine. His reply was classic; he said, "yes, I know where that motor is... it's in my house... I had it made into a coffee table." I was stunned, and really relieved that it wasn't currently residing in some race car, or a sand rail, or some other heavy-use vehicle. I asked him if he knew where the carbs were and he said that the motor is essentially in-tact, with carbs still attached.

So now we're in talks about how to swap his coffee table base for something that looks the part, while reuniting 193 with its original power plant. His terms are that he wants an exact replica of his coffee table, plus $1k, and I pay all shipping. I'm thinking that might be a bit steep...but we'll see how things progress.
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Great story and congrats on tracking down the engne. I was amazed to locate the missing motor from my car and let me tell you, it's very sattisfying to reunite the chassis with its power plant after a long separation.
    Best of luck to you with your negotiations. My own deal was not as favorable as the "coffee table" replacement plus $1k
    I wish it was! Here's hoping the guy doesn't bend you over a barrel.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

My own deal was not as favorable as the "coffee table" replacement plus $1k
    Well, the thing about the "table" I have to send him is that it must be totally spiffy clean and "new" looking. So I have to contend with tumbling replacement cases and carbs etc. -- that's an expense. Plus, the original motor will need to be rebuilt when it arrives. So it's going to be a bit more than $1k and some spare parts. -Still worth it though
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Roll call--HERE! 6 months ago I bought a 68 911L ROW Sunroof coupe. Black plate from San Diego. It is a project car --needs everything but is complete. Original color is Ossi Blue now it is silver but will paint it back to Ossi Blue. Might be some time before I can show pictures. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Just noticed thread. Guess I'm really slow. Have had a L now for several years. Silver[originally Tangerine,painted in '90's] sunroof with Becker radio,automatic antenna,and wood wheel. No significant mods, but left rocker strips off. Engine appears appropriate for year, but numbers don't agree with COA. Original pans are great. Originally a Ca car,transiently in Texas.
    Black plate came with it and is 68LPOR.
    J acker