Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronado Classic Speed Festival 10/8

Gburner

Coronado Classic Speed Festival 10/8

Coronado Classic Speed Festival
    Saturday, October 8th 2005

R Gruppe, Early S and PCA members might be interested in the Coronado Historic races coming Saturday October 8 to Coronado Island in San Diego.

The Coronado Races are a product of the same promoter of the famous Monterey Historic Races. The event features approximately 8-10 races of various sports and formula race cars. The paddock is open to spectators allowing you to get up close with the cars and owners. There are many vendor displays and the military usually has a very nice display of their machinery.
    It is a rare treat to have such an event in our back yard.

Saturday morning Roger Grago will host an early morning tour from Orange County to Coronado Island.
    Tour departure point and start time to be announced.

Upon arrival in San Diego the caravan will make a quick stop for breakfast.
    At breakfast VIP car corral passes will be handed out. These passes will provide you VIP parking at the track car corral.
    The VIP car corral is located on the track's front straight right next to the main grandstand.
    This large corral is reserved for sports cars of every type.

You may request your VIP car corral pass via the Early S forum private message feature, just drop me a note.

After breakfast we will have a large eye catching R Gruppe/Early S drive through Coronado to our special R Gruppe VIP parking corral.

Tickets to enter the event itself are separate and you may order these in advance or purchase them at the event.
    One day tickets are $20 in advance or $25 day of the event.
    More info on advance ticket purchases can be found here. http://www.coronadospeedfestival.com

More details to follow.
    All the best.
    Mike G

Coronado

Are the actual races on Saturday, or on Sunday?
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

More than Original
    The 2005 event schedule has not been posted, but I would guess like last year the races are on Sunday.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eade Hopkinson
    Are the actual races on Saturday, or on Sunday?
    G' Morning Eade,
    The format is the same for both days. Each day each car will get a 50 minute session.
    Since some of these cars are tempermental I prefer to attend on Saturdays.
    Sundays are fun too.
    On a past Sunday I attended but the Lola V8 was parked.
    He ran Saturday but was parked Sunday due to mechanical problems.

As far as races....
    its all just exhibition and a fantastic effort is made by the drivers to create wheel to wheel racing excitment while lapping their historic race cars.
    If you saw a video of the Trans Am session on Saturday and the Sunday session you would think they both were races.
    Imho both days are the same.
    Join us on Saturday!

I'd really like to see those 935s from Monterey last month make it to Coronado.

Gburner
    Hi Guys I do have the 25 car corral passes.
    These are good for both Saturday and Sunday.
    10 passes remain, first come first saved.
    Let me know if you need one.

I’ll just toss this out there too….

Ray and Duane suggested organizing an interesting drive Saturday afternoon after the morning races.
    Either a 90 minute tour of the Rancho Sante Fe and Elfin Forest (makes La Jolla look like a Ghetto ) area or if you feel the need a 3 hour San Diego east county tour could be arraigned. The drive would be geared to accommodate a delicious dinner that evening in nearby Carlsbad.

I’d like to be part of this except I have already volunteered to help at the PCA driving school too early Sunday morning.

Perhaps this is the place for those interested to discuss and check interest for a Saturday afternoon tour and dinner?

Gburner
    I was able to secure 5 more passes, so there should be enough for everyone.
    Just let me know asap and I'll save one for you.
    Breakfast will be fun with around 30+ early Porsche owners and friends.

I few guys that will be at the track dropped me a note.

"Thanks for the opportunity for a drive and what sounds like a fun time....We will be at the track...come by and say Hi ! Steve Schmidt"

At least 2 RSRs will be racing.

"HEY FOLKS: JOHN BYRNE AND I WILL BE RUNNING OUR RSR'S IN THE IMSA GROUP. HOPE YOU STOP BY AND SAY HEY AT THE TRACK. JIM EDWARDS"

Two pictures from last years Coronado Speed Festival.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

More than Original
    Can't wait should be a good time! Any info on breakfast for us in SD not following the early morning tour from Orange County?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Gburner
    Good point BD, here's more.

We will make a quick breakfast stop at the Country Waffle located at 2323 Midway Ave, San Diego. Corner of Midway and Barrnet. A private dining room has been reserved starting at 7am. The OC/LA tour should arrive around 7:30. This is the same place we met at 2 years ago. The Country Waffle will provide a nice horse shoe table arraignment so everyone can converse. Separate checks are OK.

At breakfast VIP car corral passes will be handed out.
    Please reserve your VIP parking pass no later than October 1st.

Please PM me if you are going to join us so we can have enough space at Country Waffle reserved for everyone to have breakfast together.

After breakfast it’s off to the races!
    Last year Wayne Baker in the 910 really was flying, look forward to seeing him going at it again.

Gburner
    More good news,

Saturday afternoon R Gruppe and Early S members are invited to participate in an after race event.
    Here is a fantastic alternative to the slow and go 5 north commute home.

R Gruppe member Duane Hyatt has volunteered to host an after race tour of some fun San Diego local back roads. Duane has plotted a scenic drive through Julian and parts of the Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.

The tour concludes just minutes from the 5 freeway in the coastal town of La Costa. About that time we all should be ready to unwind with a cool drink.

Duane has made reservations near by at a very nice Mexican restaurant with great ocean water views. Safe off street parking provided for Porsches too. He has also coordinated a host hotel in Carlsbad for those that might like to spend the evening by the beach.

The basic plan is to depart the races at 1 pm and begin the tour. Good planning as the race format just repeats itself after lunch, same cars same run groups. Besides after watching a morning of races who isn’t ready to rev it up and go!

Several after race options are available to please everyone.

a. Take the tour and stay for dinner then jump on the 5.

b. Take the tour and jump on the 5 to get back home, for those in need of an all day pass.

c. Take the tour stay for dinner and spend the evening at the Carlsbad host hotel

d. If you stay at the races till 4pm please join us for dinner at the Mexican restaurant on the way home.

Duane has volunteered to coordinate with the restaurant and hotel the number of people in our party.
    Duane requests you call him on his cell if would like to participate.

You can reach Duane Hyatt at 1 480 220 4448
    If you have any questions give Duane a call.

At our Saturday morning breakfast Duane will be sharing more details on our tour route and R Gruppe Mexican style dinner!

Wayne Baker's 910 class of the Porsche field last year!

Coronado Speed Festival

Yup, I'm going too. In fact, my somewhat revised lightweight 911S is entered. Look for this car and I'll give you the details. Hope to see you there
    Jim Calzia
    Early 911S Registry #51
    Former R Gruppe #41, now excommunicated