Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Find Roger!

Virgins

Rodger,virgins are my favorite,I own 4 early 911's low milage original paint show room new...........always looking for another

That is Nice, The best part it was stored some where that kept in great shape.
    I know of a car , PCA parade concour in the 80's ,now its in a barn filled with mice. Relax it's a 74 914
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

Put me first in line for a full res photo CD of at least 500 pictures of every damn detail even if the price of the CD is $50.00!

I've never met a virgin (at least when it mattered most).

I can't wait to hear more of this.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I want to smell it. Is that wrong? Hey wait, I'm a Pagan of course that's wrong.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Roger-one way or another

Roger,

Please, please, ooooh pleeease DO write about this experience! I would think there would be interest, if not Excellence, perhaps Sports Car? Especially writing with BOTH cars. If you do write it up I would enjoy info on the Jag just as much. Of course, I started driving 911s in 1968 and I remember what these were REALLY like when new so I am not so fasinated at how it simply is original as the entire story with both cars. What a find.

There is something about walking up to a neat older car that has been sitting for a long time.... I still remember my first experience when I was a kid in Seattle- 1957. Friend snuck me into his dad's garage where he had hidden away a very original Supercharged Cord roadster. I didn't even know what one was until that moment but I still remember that first magical instant. Dunno exactly what it is but in many ways neater than............

sigh.....

Audi allroad-wifes
    Lexus LS400-driver
    79 930 Factory LTWT- that says it all
    73 RS-RSR still set up as race car-w/muffler and plates!
    74 Carrera- built 3.0CIS -nice lively fun Bitter Chocolate
    66 912- still in "barn find" trim
    71 911 Targa-softie- derelict needing everything
    55-62-?? Beck 550 Spyder- neat car- wifes

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Who is the nut who buys a Porsche and NEVER drives it for 35 years?
    God bless him, but he ain't no friend of mine!
    Evidently the nut who just helped out his widow...$150K??? Wow!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Not to pee on a parade but....

While this is a great find the kicker is that you cannot drive it. The value is in the mileage and originality. Period.

It will also likely need a complete overhaul. Seals and gaskets and other items just don't do well sitting for 35 years dormant.

ECON 101:

What cost about $10,000 in 1970 would be around $50,600 now. So, the widow did OK unless you consider storage, insurance etc. etc. and whatever fee Cabiglio charged (likely 20-25%). So she netted between $112,500 and $120,000. Not a bad days work Mr. Cabiglio.

For the money I would purchase a real "AAA" Bond like a 300 Point Speedster or an RS Carrera if investment were the main criteria. I suspect that is not the case here. It's likely a one-upsmanship battle of someone with money to burn.

I don't see any headroom left in a 35 year old 911-S. In 10 years, perhaps, but by then where will the Speedsters and RS Carreras be? Double where they are now? More?
    $150,000 is in the range of a "real" investment car and while 911-S models are doing well, this is a lot of money to pay just because the car has no miles on it. Again, it has to stay that way so you have little choice other than to put it in a museum or collection and create some hellacious provenance to justify the money paid (or that you expect someone to pay in the future).

This house of cards we are currently living in could come crashing down upon us should the economy continue to flounder. It's always the craziest just before the sh*t hits the fan. I do not wish to visit 1989 again. Many Ferrariste, Corvette and Muscle Car enthusiasts have the same thoughts.

Nothing goes straight up forever.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Those Were The Days My Friend

Tom,while I BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SAID;I WOULD BE WILLING TO DO ALL THAT'S NECESSARY TO MAKE THE CAR RIGHT;BY THE WAY A '70 s cost $5900 ;i KNOW A BOUGHT A LEFT OVER IN '71,BRAND NEW FOR $5900 ;IT WAS STOLEN OFF THE STREETS OF QUEENS,NY;I COULDN'T AFFORD IT THEN AND IT WAS FINANCED,$168 A MONTH;IT'S SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME TO WRITE A CHECK NOW.............ALL I DO IS RELIVE THE PAST.YOU CAN'T ENJOY THE PAST BUT YOU CAN TRY!! tHOSE WERE THE DAYS ;MY FIRST PURCHASE IN THE MUNI BUSINESS

daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnn Tom - that was brutal!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Smile 2.2 S

Put me second in line after SATMAN for a CD.
    Not sure about the $50 but it sure would be worth some money to see how closely my car has weathered 34 years and 7/8 owners,as compared to a virgin car !

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44