Thread: Metal on metal 'bang' on bumps as speed.

Metal on metal 'bang' on bumps as speed.

I have Koni sport struts, which are about 1 year old and am wondering if this is an adjustment problem or if they are defective. When driving at speed, and the pavement jumps up just a little, like the transition to a bridge, I get a very loud metal on metal bang up front like the struts are trying to come through the hood. Are they shot or can they be adjusted? I have heard the term 'bump stops' but don't know if it is applicable.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

It seem unlikely that you are using full suspension compression on a freeway joint. Its more likely that the suspension is moving backwards (that is the way that sudden jolts are absorbed). Have a look at the bushings on the A arm and the strut top.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Check the nuts in the top of the strut case tubes as I have found, they can at times, work their way loose. These are the ones which screw into the strut tube and secure the insert into place. Not a terribly common thing but it can happen.
    Mike

Rick,

Check your sway bar and mounts and also things that are not suspension related like battery, fuel tank, etc

John

Koni

I have removed Konis from all of my cars because even on a slightly lowered car the foot valve at the bottom of a Koni strut will fail and cause the banging racket you are talking about. If nothing else is loose, the car is lowered, and you think you may have used full travel this may be the case. I have had it happen several times.

Jeff

In my experience if you have Konis and the suspension is bottoming so badly it damages the foot valve in the strut.Your car would have suffered bumpsteer problems, well before damage occurs to the foot valves. I have only found this to be the case in very few and isolated cases. Don't forget to check the length and condition of the bumpstops fitted. If there is still a problem, the options are as Jeff says replace the Konis, shorten the strut inserts to suit,or raise your stub axles, or finally raise the ride height to a level suitable to your cars needs.

Lowered cars with Konis are risky, Ive done it and its gone both ways. My 73S I sold to Kent Moore had Konis with the foot valves blown out. Even thought they where replaced the car has not had another problem, mostly because the car is not a low as it once was and is not driven hard.

Jeff, the one major thing we have both, neglected to point out is regardless of what type of struts/shocks and suspension, it requires travel to operate. This is one of the most important areas of good handling. and is very often over looked. I am sure you would agree!

Yes I Do Agree