Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I buy it?

Hello 72targa, please keep the "not mine" post coming,just add some "mine",would like to see your car 18 years later. I also have a 1972S Targa,bought in 1989,with 7x15 all around,with 205/60 yoko's avs interm. and yes it did rub blistering the paint. I installed 26 rear torsion bars and the rubbing went away and I have wheel arch mouldings. I went thru a restoration a little over a year ago. What is the difference between Chevron delo and Chevron supreme motor oil? The supreme cost less(smile),but is there a difference performance wise? I've always used 20-50 and I live in Los Angeles. Thank you for any input.

Chevron Supreme is an excellent motor oil, whether you buy SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, 30 or 40. The OEMs no longer acknowledge SAE 10W-40 or 20W-50 nor the straight 30 or 40 for a variety of reasons. All meet either API SM or SL (you're 20W-50 meets API SL which is not the most current spec but a strong spec all the same). The SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30 meet ILSAC GF-4. The product I use, on the other hand, meets a spec called API CI-4 PLUS (as well as many others including API SL).

What's all of this alphabet soup mean? Supreme Motor Oil is directed at cars while Delo 400 is directed at heavy duty trucks. There is significantly better protection (antiwear, antioxidation, dispersancy) to be found in Delo 400 than Supreme and that's insurance I'm happy to pay for. Don't get me wrong. Supreme is a great product. However, the market it plays in would never allow it to have the amount of additization (and cost) that Delo 400 does. Remember that on-highway trucks are now asked to go as many as 50,000 miles or more before an oil change (albeit with a much larger oil sump).

If I had a brand new car and Porsche said use SAE 5W-20 during the warranty, that's what I'd do. Out of warranty, SAE 15W-40 is great in all but the coldest climates.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    Supreme Motor Oil is directed at cars while Delo 400 is directed at heavy duty trucks.
    The Delo 400 is what I use in my Powerstroke diesel engine.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

You have made an excellent choice.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100