Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Esses 2nd Annual Fall Gathering

Midwest Esses 2nd Annual Fall Gathering

Brian, Curt, Dave, Larry, Jared, Randy, etc....

What say we plan another weekend similar to that of last year's inagural? A corbon-copy repeat would be great if we could pull it off. I'm guessing that Jim S. would be game, and we could also begin the ball rolling toward the idea for a May trip to Monterey, which was hatched last weekend. I'm going to toss out the Saturday dates of the 22nd or 29th...somewhere in northern Indiana?

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Hi Jim,

Randy and I were having a discussion about this just today (slow day at the office for me). We were thinking about a short trip up the Eastern Lake Michigan coast for something a little different. He is going to call you about taking the ferry over from Wisconsin instead of driving through Chicago. We could certainly repeat what we did last year instead, but I assume you would rather stay at a different place than Napennee.

October 22-23 would be better for me. I am seeing patients on Saturday October 29th. Other opinions are welcome.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Michigan's a great idea...a beautiful area in the Fall - Charlevoix and Petosky are particularly nice. As it turns out, I have an unused pass for the High Speed Ferry left over from our aborted trip to the PCA Parade. We're taking the 356 to South Carolina the previous weekend, so I'll be able to get home, shower, re-pack and hit the road again. Sounds like fun. Will I be ousted if I bring the '57?

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Definitely interested in meeting up with the Mid West contingent if it's the weekend of Oct 22!
    Ron Wiser, Member #703
    Looking for trans 7190114

Jim,

Randy had the same thoughts about that area also. That is one of my favorite places in the Midwest. I know many of the roads in that area from cycling over the years. My only concern is the distance for a weekend gathering especially for the guys in Ohio (that is a long drive from Dayton for Dave). Another possibility would a little south of there in the Traverse Bay area. Where does the ferry arrive in Michigan?

Ron,

Glad to hear you can make it that weekend. How far would your drive be to the Traverse Bay area?
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Randy,

The new high speed ferry runs between Milwaukee & Muskegon. That leaves us about 225 miles south of Charlevoix and, as you stated, a long drive for Dave. A clean motel, a selection of restaurants and the requisite twisty roads can surely be found further south. Curt or Jared might have an idea or two however, here are just a couple of possibilities:

http://www.pentwatermichigan.com/

http://www.southhaven.org/

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Anywhere along the coast is excellent. If we started in Muskegon and went up along the coast thru Frankfort and Empire and then up to the Leelanau Peninsula, that would be a great route. Than down thru Traverse City and Cadillac area and back. LOTS of good roads in that area.

I am VERY READY for another fall get-together. The weekend of Oct 22/23 works better for us than the 29/30 - since we have theater tickets the latter weekend. If the 22/23 doesn't work - and it seems for comments so far that it would be OK, then the first weekend in November 5/6 would also work for us.

How many of you guys are planning on bringing wives this year. Last year it was just two wives along, and they seemed a bit lonely among all the Porsche talk.

The location doesn't matter to me. There are B&B's just about everywhere. Whatever location works out best for the majority, and I'll be there.

BTW, Curt, my new hood crest will be on my car by then. So many exciting things.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Sounds good to me......I think all of the Oct w-e's are pretty open. I would prefer the 29/30, but it wouldnt be a deal breaker if we had to do the 22/23. Im excited!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Give me a general idea of how far north you guys want to go and I'll pre-run 'the course'. Going up the coast is easy enough, but figuring out the best route coming back down will take some thinking.