Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Esses 2nd Annual Fall Gathering

Are we thinking of Friday through Sunday? Like meeting somewhere in southwest Michigan and then driving north. If so we should think about which towns to stay in Friday and Saturday night.

Curt,

That would be great if you could pre-run some of the roads. Do you have any favorite places to stay in say Ludington, Manistee, Empire, or Traverse? If we have a big enough group it will be hard to 'just wing it' in regards to accomedations.

Larry,

I don't know about Margaret going along. We have to arrange for my parents to have the kids for the weekend and that hasn't been worked out yet.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian,
    I think it would be 6 1/2 hours from Cleveland to Ludington or Traverse Bay.
    I would likely trailer my car to the starting point
    South Haven is about 5 hours - an easier haul.
    Late October might be a bit cold up north by Traverse Bay? probably need to check if I have heaters!
    Ron Wiser, Member #703
    Looking for trans 7190114

I think it's kind of up to you guys who will be traveling the furthest to figure out what days and how far north. I guess it would make sense to do the main drive Sat, giving everyone Sunday to get home. So, if we can pick a starting point for Sat. morning ......

Brian - I don't have any specific hotels/B&Bs in mind. Shouildn't be any problem getting accomodations. We'd be just past the prime color-tour season and way before ski season (hopefully ..... )

I like the idea of meeting in Muskegon near the ferry on fri night so we have less of an ititial drive and then going North from there on Sat.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I was talking with Dwight (Scargo) from Chicago this afternoon and he suggested leaving the Muskegon area on Saturday morning, driving up north along the lake shore but making a loop and ending up back in the same area for Saturday night.

This would be helpful for Dwight, Larry, Ron and Dave who would have really long drives on Sunday if we end up in the Traverse City area for Sunday night. Curt, what do you think about a drive up the coast from Muskegon and then a return through the Manistee National Forest? I would be happy to join you before hand on a recon drive.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

A quick search for scenic drives in Michigan brought up travel.michigan.org Here is a link to a Fall color tour in the area we are talking about. Maybe this could be a route to check out.

http://travel.michigan.org/drivingto...y&m=9;1&city=#

Click on the 'Printer Friendly' link and a larger map should pop up.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Hey, sounds like a blast. Count me in - either weekend looks good.
    I'm bummed I missed the Road America trip.

Nobody has mentioned Saugatuck as a potential meeting place (further south). I haven't been there since I was a kid - maybe someone else is more familiar with it? Traverse/Charlevoix would be great, but a long drive for the Ohioites.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Brian - that route looks OK, but I think going up the coast further would be better. I'm thinking we want to at least get up to Sleeping Bear Dunes area. I've got a couple of potential routes in mind. How long does everyone want to drive? I'm thinking we'd want to leave Muskegon by 9AM or so and be back before dark (7PM??) at the latest. That would give us plenty of time for a few stops along the way.

Jared: re: Saugatuck. Cool place for sure (also the self-proclaimed gay-capital of Michigan). My brother has a sail boat there (although he's not gay) ..... not that there's anything wrong with that ....

Jared,

I was starting to be worried about you man, haven't seen you post in awhile.

Don't think I can make the Northern Michigan trip this year.

Ciao,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Jared,

Glad to hear you can make for this weekend. Saugatuck and Douglas are nice resort towns. Maybe we can check it out on Sunday morning as we all (those headed that way) work our way back south toward home.

Curt,

Sleeping Bear Dunes sounds good. Lets plan to head up that far, if we are running out of time we could always just shorten the route up a bit. Yeah lets plan to be out from 9:00 am to dark. The wives will not want to drive all that time (hard to believe ) so we will have to plan a few spots to stop (lunch, antiques, etc.).
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299