Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk, Engine Compartment and Wheelwell Paint Combinations?

Trunk, Engine Compartment and Wheelwell Paint Combinations?

In looking at '69-'73 cars to purchase for a driver project car, I'm confused about original trunk, wheelwell and engine compartment paint color combinations. I know on the '73's that all three were body color, and it seems that on the '69's all were painted a relatively flat black. I've seen a '71 with black engine and wheelwells but body color trunk compartment.

Are there definitive dates/models when the black switched over to body color paint for each application?

Thanks as always for the help.
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Whoever answers, I'd appreciate it if you could also address the same issue on a '68

Thanks
    Henry

My 72T has black engine compartment and undercarriage with body color trunk(very light). My 73 RS had color undercarriage, engine compartment as well as trunk. Hope this helps.

My original 72 had black painted engine compartment and bottom with a body colored front trunk also. My 73 RS has all body colored. The 68 was all black for the bottom and front and rear compartments.

Don

My '73 T is all body colored, except for satin black applied to the rocker panels and the continuation of the rocker panel line into the wheel wells (if you can picture that). Also, the area behind the horn grilles and several areas areas of the interior are finished in satin black.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Scope Creep Poster Child
    My '70E Karman sunroof coupe had black engine compartment and black lugage compartment. There was body color paint under the black of the luggage compartment. As I have completely removed everything from the dash to the hood latch, and have selectedly sanded and striped all the way to bare metal, I am confident that the black was original. I have heard of other cars as old or older tham mine with body colored luggage compartments, but never engine compartments. I wonder if Reuter made the switch and Karman did not?
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clarke
    I wonder if Reuter made the switch and Karman did not?
    -Scott
    That's what I think. My 70S (1/70) has the body color in the trunk. Also it does not have the black over the VIN in the trunk like a lot of others I've seen. I'm 100% sure that the trunk area is original paint.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

My '70E coupe also has black in the trunk and engine compartment which is original. It is a Karman coupe also.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

My 69 T Targa was black in the trunk, underbody & engine compartment. Pretty sure it was original, I was 2nd owner and the only respray was done by Carlson P/A in Palo Alto - no changes to original.

My 70 S Coupe was already repainted (and badly) when I bought it from the first owner. The car was Albert Blue everywhere, and I do not think the compartments, etc, were ever black. It's all silver metallic now...

I think by 73 all were body color everywhere. The questionable years are up to 1970, agreed???
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Trunk colors/"smugglers' box"

Is the original color of the "smugglers' box lid always the same as the rest of the trunk? I have heard of it being "a shiny black" on a green 1972T and the owner believes that to be the original color. The rest of the trunk is green.

Also, does anyone know why the area around the shock towers is painted black? The rest of my 1970 trunk interior is painted silver...same as the exterior. Getting ready to repaint and would appreciate any help on these questions. Thanks.