Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Wood Steering Wheel

Early Wood Steering Wheel

What years had the wood steering wheels? Also, what are the major differences between the wood and leather wrapped wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

I am pretty sure that wood wheels came standard on all Porsche 911's from 1964-1966. The 1967 911S models came out with leather wrapped (non wood) wheel, so I am guessing that the wood wheel was either discontinued in 1967 or made an option. If it was made an option, I wonder how much the wood upgrade cost? I am guessing that it was probably something ridiculoulsy cheap like $50 back then (the optional early recaro sports seats were only like $60 each back then - and we all know what they go for now!). It would be impossible to make a wood wheel with this kind of craftsmanship for under $1k these days.
    I recently discovered that I had a wood wheel hiding under the old leather wrap on my 67 911 wheel which I had been driving around with for almost 4 years. I have meanwhie taken it off and and swapped it out for a Prototipo. These past few months I have been taking a few minutes every day to lightly sand off the old finish, and have it re-varnished. I am guessing but it seems to me that the width of the wheel is the same between the wood and the plastic wheel. But the leather wrap makes the later plasticbased wheels thicker, and the later S models had a double leather wrap which made them even thicker still.
    Here are a few pic's of mine in its current state (I put the horn button and butterfly back on for the pic's). I have the top and sides sanded down smoothly. I still have most of the back to do around the finger grooves. I am trying to be as gentle with the sandpaper as possible so I don't over sand the tops of the waves while trying to getinto the gaps. I don't want to wear down the finger grooves any more than necessary to get the old varnish off.
    JCF, my apologies for posting these pic's. I know that you still have a bad taste in your mouth courtesy of Alan (he should be shot with a) Gunn, and these pic's of wood wheel are going to bring it all back up again.....

Pic's of the wheel.
    By the way, I measure 6.5 centimeters thickness, and 41.5 cm all the way across. Weren't the regular plastic steering wheels like 38cm across?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I think they were big enough to use in school busses. They sure do depict that early feel though.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

My current '66 car has that wood steering wheel, and my very early '67 car also came with it. But the diameter is too large for my taste, so I installed a Nardi. Here are some options and prices from my Sep 1965 factory Accessories and Price Lists (two separate booklets) :

Outside Talbot mirror (not mounted): $5.65
    Outside thermometer: $15
    Left sun visor with vanity mirror: $1.05
    Sisal floor mats: $9.90
    Front (rear is same price too) bumper horns with rubber pads: $3.60
    4 Konis: $30.00
    Gas heater: $162.50
    Suitcases: Various prices depending on material (up to $41.25)
    Wooden steering wheel: $37.50
    2 fog lights: $27.50
    Various radios (Blaupunkt - $80.00 and Koln, New Yorker, and Mexico - $172.50)
    Non metallic special paint: $100.00
    Metallic special paint: $162.50
    Leather upholstery: $212.50
    Sunroof: $246.25
    Tinted glass: $36.25

There's more too, but I thought I'd show some examples. There were no sports seats listed in Sep 1965. Also, the dollar was valued at 4 DM.

Some other tidbits:

- Chrome Steel wheels - standard on 911
    - Outside thermometer and clock package was only for the 912
    - The rubber bumper pads were not in production as of Sep 1965 but were planned for Oct 1965. Same goes for Koni shock option.
    - Gas heater was standard on 911
    - Wooden steering wheel (with horn button) standard on 911
    - Fog lights (a Porsche 356 part number) standard on 911
    - No wording about which radio came standard
    - Seats in "Pepita" checks were no cost option for 911, but extra charge for 912

Hope this clears up some questions wrt the early SWB cars. Of interest is that the "better" radios were five times more expensive than the wooden steering wheel.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Gruen, the 38 cms (380mm) wheels came on the 73 RS and the 914 only, all other 911s came with the 400mm wheels, some platic, some leather. I have my original 400 mm leather wraped S wheel, but have swaped it for a 380 mm 914 wheel, it is far more comfortable
    Henry

Henry,
    I like smaller wheels as well. I have the Momo prototipo currently on my 67 and think it's great. The wood wheels are beautiful and are both aesthetically beautiful and great to hold in your hand when driving in a civilized manner. The Momo is the wheel of choice when I am feeling a little like Mr Hyde , and the wood one is reserved for kindly Dr. Jekyl .

Any ideas on if wood wheels were an option on 67-73s?

Per my fathers price list (he was in independent dealer from late 50's to early 80's) 1967, and 1968 shows an option at $41.00, but a non cost option for the S. 1970 price list shows only a leather option, no wood, missing the 69 price list.

Note that the first wood wheels (through mid 65 production?) had aluminum spokes.

E

Is there any chance that someone here may have a nice one of these wheels that they would like to sell? I would like one for my soft window. Thanks guys.

Don

P.S. I would use brass wool instead of sandpaper on that refinish Gruen. You will not risk having sanding marks with the wool.