Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Removal

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Engine Removal

Is it possible for one person to remove a 911 engine from a 69S?

don

Don,

Yes it is...I have done it many times. (It is easier to balance and safer with two...but can't always be done)
    You need tall jack stands both front and rear so car is level. Then a jack that will lift high enough.
    The car needs to be up enough for the engine to come out under the rear bumper/valance. I use a large piece of 1/2 in plywood on top of the jack pad that supports the engine/tranny unit.

John

Don,

Done quite easily...matter of fact, I do not recall ever doing it with two people (and I remove mine every winter to clean). Do as John mentions, go slowly and use a good jack. Finding the balance point just to the front of the engine before the seam of the transmission and a large plate (like plywood) is helpfull; If you need to, you can remove the license panel for extra room. Also, if you have a stock muffler, it works as a nice handle to maneuver the engine around whilst pulling out. Remember to double check all the parts, cables, lines, and linkages before removal.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Just thought of one other thing...don't forget to disconnect the shift linkage at the tunnel access hatch...also helps to put the tranny in 2nd or 4th so the shift rod is into the tranny as much as possible.
    Good luck!

John

I agree, it's very possible to remove the engine/trans by yourself. It got much easier when I got this engine holding device that fits on the floor jack.
    It makes balance a cinch. I would not remove another engine without it.
    Available everywhere, Pelican etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

Bruce,

I like that set-up...guess that will be the part for the month this month.
    Michael

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    This is not the way it is done in Wayne's book! Also, to rebuild my engine for the first time do I need to buy a shop manual?

don

Anyone know how the factory installed em? Did they roll them under and then chain hoist them up through the open lid? I've been looking through my shop manuals looking for instructions for removal and haven't come up with anything yet. I've heard both versions on whether to rest the engine weight on the case seam or not. I've been thinking seriously about getting that jack adapter too. From what I've seen it looks well thought out and well made.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    This is not the way it is done in Wayne's book! Also, to rebuild my engine for the first time do I need to buy a shop manual?

Don,

You do not want to rely on Wayne's book for a rebuild. It has far too many errors for that...it is a decent resource for small projects, but thats about it. Yes, you should have the factory manual and possibly back it up with a Haynes for clairifacation. The spec bool from Porsche is nice to have as well.

As far as lowering the engine, there are many ways to do it and they all work fine...that set-up that BHerrmann showed looks to be very nice though. I would only not recommend using the standard jack plate as it would mar the underside of the engine. A block of wood has worked great for me for years.
    Michael

Just to avoid confusion. Wayne has two books out. "101 Projects" and "How to Rebuild and Modify"

I've got both plus the Porsche factory manuals, Haynes, and Bruce Andersons Performance Handbook.

Without a doubt the best guide for rebuilding a 911 motor is Waynes "How to Rebuild and Modify" for it's methodical step by step approach.

The factory manuals are a great resource but not really a "how to" book. They assume you are already an experienced mechanic and provide the resource info that the mechanic needs.

The Haynes manual is really just Cliff notes.

"How to Rebuild and Modify" provides the how to along with the resource which makes it the single best book purchase for rebuilding a 911 motor. Any resource info that is missing can be easily aquired online at Pelicans board. Also errors for the book are listed at the website.

I find that dropping the motor is easiest done when leaving the tranny in the car but when it's time to re-install it's easier with tranny and motor mated. Just make sure that the shift rod is disconnected regardless of whether the tranny is left in the car or not.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.