Thread: Which lights light what???

Which lights light what???

OK, silly question maybe but here is goes:
    Since putting my 68 back together, I have had an erradic turn signal and have dealt with it this season and decided today to look into it. So here is the question: on the front assembly (SWB) there are two bulbs one inboard and smaller the other outboard and larger. What are each used for? As of now, I think the only one working is the larger out board one for both parking (key off and turn signal switch on) and the running lights. I seem to remember that the running lights were the inboard ones...although my 67S is not around to check. Same question goes for the rears...

TIA
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Michael,

The inboard small bulb is the running (or parking) light. The outboard bulb is the directional blinker. It seems to me that the directional blinker light should go on with the ignition key off and out with the directional switch handle in the desired direction. This was for parking...
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I just checked my '65--it turns out it's only about 15 feet from my computer.

I pulled the headlight switch out one notch and got the inner bulbs on both sides.

With the headlight switch all the way in (all off) and the ignition off, I pushed the turn signal lever down, and I got the small inner bulbs (front and rear) on the left side of the car only.

The big outer bulbs should be the turn signals, but I didn't put the key in the ignition. I think I can trust my memory on this one...
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks for clarifying that... my car is about 40 ft from my computer, but down two flights of stairs - lol.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Thanks guys...thats what I thought.

Looks like a bit of the wireing was misplaced in the housings then. I will have some checking to do tomorrow now. I wonder if this is what was makeing the signals function erradically?

So, the outside larger portion with the large bulb ONLY works when the turn signal is selected and the ignition is ON. Otherwise: parking, running, directional parking are all on the smaller inboard bulb.
    Michael

Talking Whoo Hoo!

Well that solved it all. The wires in the front were switched so the turn signals were to the inside and the parking/running to the outside... For some reason, when like this the turn signal lights do not work. I was thinking I had a relay or switch problem...took them all apart, cleaned all connectors and checked solder joints on all connectors. Now I know everything is good now. The lights work flawlessly.

For another question, has anyone tried the halogen light replacement that Mid Am Motor Werks has to put in the back-up light area? Would be nice is it works to have a real reverse light.

Cheers,
    Michael

Michael, good job on the fix.

I just went through the identical problem with my '66. Seems that when the car was repainted 20-odd years ago, whomever reassembled it mixed up the wires.

For the last 20 years, the PO's had been signalling their intention to turn with a 4-watt bulb inboard, instead of the 21-watt signal bulb!

I think the car is happier when this kind of stuff gets taken care of.
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer