Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '67 S Rearview Mirror

'67 S Rearview Mirror

Can someone please describe (or provide an image of) the appearance of a '67 S rearview mirror, as well as its attachment to the roof. The attachment portion of the question should pertain to any '67.

Thanks,
    Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

I borrowed these from Pelican. Gruen911 posted it for sale, and I believe it is gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Jim,
    The mirror pictured above with the chrome backing is a standard 911 or 912 mirror from a 65-67 car. The mirror for the 67S was unique to the "S". It has a black plastic case with the same attachement points. The standard 911/912 mirror will work on fine on a 67S...but it's not the original "S" style mirror if that's important to you. See attached pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My 67S has the chrome mirror like the one rick2 posted. I checked the parts manual and they list one mirror (901.731.010.22) for 911,911S and 912 up to 11/67. After that point it lists a (901.731.011.21) "inside mirror,detatchable in case of accident" for all 911 models. I have a '68 US coupe with this mirror, and it appears to be the same one Richard photographed, except I think his has had the base painted black instead of silver. Gotta love the parts manual!
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Tom,
    Guess we need someone else to weight in on this. I've always been under the impression that the '67S had the unique rearview mirror shown in my picture with a black plastic frame vs. the chrome frame used on standard 911's & 912's. My '67S was built in late October 1966 so it's not a late '67 car with a '68 mirror. I just did a quick check and found this mirror in the following pictures of '67S cars: Pg. 76, Porsche, The definitive History 1963 to 1971. Pg. 22, Porsche 911 by Patrick Paternie and pg. 440, Excellence was Expected by Ludvigsen (original volume). I think you've got a standard 911/912 chrome rearview mirror on your '67S. It may have come from the factory that way (if they were out of the other mirror during assembly) or added later since these original style '67S mirrors are no longer available. I don't think it's a big deal either way but I believe the correct mirror for a '67S is the one I pictured and it's backed up by pictures of '67S cars in various books. b.t.w. Parts manuals are written for all the cars and it's not uncommon for a parts manual not to list all the unique parts specific to a limited production car. Again, maybe someone else can help us out on this question.
    Rich

Richard, You may be right. But, the parts manual has correctly identified every unique S part I've looked up to this point, there are probably anomolies though. Unmolested cars are always a great resource for reference, but non-factory literature is always suspect in my opinion. I'll be curious to see who else chimes in on the subject. Regards, Tom
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Mine has the black plastic backing too if that helps, # 307859S.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Tom,
    Guess we need someone else to weight in on this.
    Rich
    My '67S, built in April '67 (RHD) has the black plastic also.
    Justin
    67 911S
    Australian TYP901 Register member No.47

3 67S's handy.....all with black plastic.

regards,
    Eric

67s

My 4/67S has the chrome handle/arm with 3 screws and the black plastic backed mirror which is what I see in most all 67 S's.

Verified by looking at a lot of pics and cars of the type.

I guess the S's were so fast that they did not want the glare from the back of the shiney chrome mirror on the windshield to distract the driver at 140 mph.

Cheers,
    Scooter
    paid up member too.