Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Original, unrestored 68 911 FOR SALE

Original, unrestored 68 911 FOR SALE

Hi Guys: I'm selling this car for a customer.

1968 911 Coupe
    Sand Beige/black (all original, unrestored)
    Dealer installed AC, 4spd and optional wood wheel
    VIN 11835211
    This is an all original, black plate car, never restored, with original paint and interior. The paint is shiny and has only a few very small imperfections. The all original interior is like new. There is zero rust and no accident damage, ever. The car has been mechanically very well maintain and was sold new in the Sac. area of California. Engine was fully rebuilt 10K miles ago, and AC was fully rebuilt and upgraded two years ago (and works great). This is a driver's car! Runs great and can be driven anywhere.

PRICE: $35,000

For pictures and more info go to my website at:

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/1968-911.htm

or call me anytime, John Willhoit (714) 356-1735

In my opinion, the fatal engine failure that resulted in a non-matching number engine case may prove fatal to the asking price of $35K. It is an 'S' based on the VIN (11835211) and Karmann bodied to boot (which really doesn't mean anything), but you should edit the ad to say this explicitly. What is the serial number on the case? A real 'S' case will mitigate some of the loss of value resulting from the car being non numbers matching, but not all of it.

It is curious that the dash '911' script does not have the '911S' script on it. Additionally, what I find most perplexing is that I didn't think that an 'S' car could have ever come with a four-speed. Does this mean the car doesn't have the original tranny either? Ouch.

BTW, for the experts: what was the redline of a '68S tach?

To be clear, the car looks gorgeous, so don't take my criticisms wrongly. I just want to raise some of the question marks that are going to be asked. Best of luck!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

An S with a 4 speed, that must a first.
    Phil

Based on my books it is a 67 K coupe, built 742 of them.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    Based on my books it is a 67 K coupe, built 742 of them.
    Phil
    Odd. The 911S Registry VIN page says '68S K coupe.

http://membres.lycos.fr/pfremy/lesnum1a.htm

This page says otherwise:

http://www.mindspring.com/~blained/vintage.html
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Yeah, not an S. Regular deco trim, 6800 redline, aluminum dash trim, regular black shroud, etc...

I would think an original 68S like that would be much higher $$$ anyway, regardless of the engine. It's very nice!

What i got was a 68 911 T, dont know if its wrong or not, never seen an S with 4spd-Experts needed
    http://www.early911s.com/

Looks like the VIN resource on the 'S' Registry page is wrong.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Hi John,

Welcome to the S Registry. The car which you are marketing for your customer looks to be a nicely maintained example of an early 911. I'm sure that there are folks in the early 911 community who are glad to see that you are branching out from your long history of top notch 356 restorations.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why folks are writing that the car is NOT what (you didn't say) that it was.

My chassis number data places the car exactly as you have described it: a '68 911 (no letter designation) with body by Karmann and a 902/01 (4sp) gearbox.

For the record, Porsche did produce S cars with narrow rocker trim in 1968. If I'm not mistaken, you would like to have a pair of those rocker trim pieces right now! (Saw your post on 356TALK)

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

John,

Very nice car.

I don't know how the S issue came along, John never said it was an S, and it clearly isn't.

John, are the engine stickers missing, or is the paint color playing tricks with the photos?
    Henry