Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original, unrestored 68 911 FOR SALE

Whats the chrome button between the windshield washer and the antenae?
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Please give me reference/book name!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    In my opinion, the fatal engine failure that resulted in a non-matching number engine case may prove fatal to the asking price of $35K. It is an 'S' based on the VIN (11835211) and Karmann bodied to boot (which really doesn't mean anything), but you should edit the ad to say this explicitly. What is the serial number on the case? A real 'S' case will mitigate some of the loss of value resulting from the car being non numbers matching, but not all of it.

It is curious that the dash '911' script does not have the '911S' script on it. Additionally, what I find most perplexing is that I didn't think that an 'S' car could have ever come with a four-speed. Does this mean the car doesn't have the original tranny either? Ouch.

BTW, for the experts: what was the redline of a '68S tach?

To be clear, the car looks gorgeous, so don't take my criticisms wrongly. I just want to raise some of the question marks that are going to be asked. Best of luck!
    Hey, when you get a minute would you please forward me the name or names or your reference books. I have lots but sure don't have the ones you have. I love the way you can tell exactly what year and model a 911 just by the chassis no. AND put in in BOLD LETTERS. Even if its not what the book says I want to be able to go on and on like you do. There is a Barnes and Noble near me so I hope I can get it there. Thanks!! dhelleck AKA low life scum sucking flipper.

1968 911

911Sers,

I sold this car 911 on eBay to the present owner, who lives in Texas, about 2 years ago. It is an original paint car with minor dings and flaws, some of which were caused by the L.A. earthquake some years back when garage boxes feel on it. It is a U.S. 911 with a factory 4 Speed. Somewhere I have an apprasial by Bruce Anderson that I ran in my eBay ad. The engine was replaced as stated. When I sold it the compressor belt was missing and since I didn't have it long, I don't know if the air worked.

Including the present owner, it has had I believe 5 owners, including myself who only had it a couple months. The first owner is deceased and as a result some of the original things that should be with the car such as the tool kits and early records were missing. I bought the car in Reno from a gentleman who kept the original CA Black Plates that I got with the car.

The present owner picked the car up at my place in the San Jose area, put the plates on it (illegally but I admire him for it) and drove it to the German Autofest (might night be the right name for the venue) where he immediately won a prize showing it. He then took it to Willhoit to fix a couple minor flaws.

There aren't many original paint cars around so based on that alone it is rare.

-Allen-

PS Small world this early Porsche 911 world!

Typo in the S Registry VIN numbers said it was an 'S'. My bad for trusting S Reg resources. Somebody needs to fix it.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Guys,
    One little fact that you guys seem to be forgetting - Porsche did not import ANY 911S's to the USA in 1968 due to emissions restrictions. Porsche only imported the 911T and 911L. So it cannot be an S unless there is some special story to the car. The 911L is basically a 911S without the S engine - which we all here will agree is the most important reason to buy an "S"!
    Can't comment on the 4 speed versus 5 speed question since I dodn't know if an "S" could come with a 4 speed option. Why would anyone want a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed if a 5 speed came as standard equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by platas
    What i got was a 68 911 T, dont know if its wrong or not, never seen an S with 4spd-Experts needed
    http://www.early911s.com/
    While most 911S's were delivered with 5 speeds, as crazy as it sounds, the 5 speed was an extra cost option. The 4 speed was standard equipment. I'm positive that this was so with the 915 gearbox, not sure with the 901....
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Smile Re: 68 911

Hi Guys,

Happy to be on the list.

With all the fuss about it "really being a 911S" I was going for my wallet until I checked the Kardex. The "original" tool kit has been replaced with a correct, oem tool kit. The chrome button on the cowl is an old alarm system "I guess it seemed like a good location at the time." I appreciate Allen's input. The owner is a true Porsche fanatic and spent about $15K on the car in the last two+ years of ownership getting it mechanically up to par. It would be a great car for someone.

John Willhoit

4 and 5 Speeds

I had a Cardex correct '72S Silver/Black with factory above-the-bumper round driving lights and factory 4 Speed. That the way it came from the factory, with a 4 speed. I put in a 5 Speed with OEM Short Shift, a.k.a. RS, short shift kit.

I sold the car to Japan about 10 years ago. It took me many many months to sell and it was a Automotion 2nd place concours winner!

-Allen-

There's always hope (and salesmanship)

We can tell this is a 68-only 911 by the yellow sidemarkers on this Porsche; something "special" for the U.S. We often were treated to such things. Since this is an original paint car and all emblems and badges say this is a "911," the chances of this being an "S," are, well, null. And even if it were a 911S, which it is most assuredly not, the engine is clearly and "normal."
    Regards,
    -Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Guys,
    One little fact that you guys seem to be forgetting - Porsche did not import ANY 911S's to the USA in 1968 due to emissions restrictions. Porsche only imported the 911T and 911L. So it cannot be an S unless there is some special story to the car. The 911L is basically a 911S without the S engine - which we all here will agree is the most important reason to buy an "S"!
    Can't comment on the 4 speed versus 5 speed question since I dodn't know if an "S" could come with a 4 speed option. Why would anyone want a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed if a 5 speed came as standard equipment?
    First off, happy to see John here...he has done some fantastic cars, and happy see he's doing more early 911's. For those who aren't familiar with his work, take a look at the dark metallic blue 356 Roadster in this months Excellence... I saw it shortly after it was finished, and it's beyond spectacular...you've never seen door gaps like these...trust me... He is also responsible for a 52 America Roadster that was at the Boise Parade in '02, which is also a magnificent restoration of a significant part of Porsche history.

As to 1968.... the 68S was easily available to import as an "individual entry" to the US. My father was in this business at that time, and he sold many European spec 68 cars.

regards,
    Eric