Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horn re-Install

Horn re-Install

Has anyone any hints for installing a horn on a 73 911?
    I purchased the original horn (hi-tone/lo-tone)as car did not have it when i purchased it.
    Horn was taken out some years back and PO felt that wires were still there, and that it shouldn't be an issue to reinstall.
    Obviously he did not know he was dealing with a complete, if eager, neophyte such as myself.
    So, to start with i will need a voltmeter i guess to see if wires are working once i find them.
    Anyone have an idea of where wiring was for horns?
    What about relays?
    I read that when you depress the horn button, you should hear a click, even if horns are not connected, due to the relay.
    No clicking = faulty relay.
    Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Hi Karl,

The wires for you horn are part of your front turn signal assembly harness.

I can't tell you the colour as this is a "before" picture and I don't have the assembly near by.

Good luck

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Thanks Bob, it'll put me on the right track ....
    i'll have a go this weekend and see if i can sort it out .... not too many posts here or on pelican but what ones are there are pointing me in the right direction.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

In my '73 a PO installed Air horns but left the old Hellas in place. They are in the left front wheel well below the fume collection tank. The wires should be nearby.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

73 should have two horns I believe the 4 73 cars I have owned all have anyway. One faces towards the ground the other towards the front of the car. There are special brackets that hold both horns one bolts on to the back of the battery box the other where the front bar is attached on the side.

Wiring is from the indicator as indicated by Bobby.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

In my '68 (and this might not help since it's a SWB), the relay is kind of behind the washer bottle in the trunk, and when you press the horn, you don't hear anything, but if you're touching the relay, you can feel it vibrate a little. That's how I found out my relay was fine but my horns were not.
    Henry

In this picture of my "hillbilly enguneering" repair of the vapor recovery tank, you can see my non-original (and non-working)horns in the lower center.

Note the bracket is at the correct location for one of the orginal horns. Also note that the vapor tank is from a later model and it (or the orginal white one) is mounted to the headlamp bucket, not the battery box.

edited to show what a learned later on (see below) and to clarify how the vapor tank is mounted
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Wrong horns,, wrong position.
    Follow what Clyde said,,,

Robert..

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911
    Wrong horns,, wrong position.
    Follow what Clyde said,,,

Robert..
    I guess my PO worked hard to install them wrong. So it goes....
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

You know, it's funny. I have realized that I have two horns in the front left fender of the car, but I have only ever heard one of them. Strange that I never made the connection before.

I didn't pull my wheel - too late at night, and too cold in the garage. But here are a couple of pictures showing the horns in my 73 Targa. They are both pointing down. I don't know what bracket change would move one of the horns forward. But I have had to push the one closest to the wheel out of the way, because it seems to vibrate rearwards, and connects with the tire on hard right turns.

Now I've got to figure out which one is bad and whether the horn is shot or the wiring, or the relay or the switch or the . . . . . . . . .

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC