Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of SWB 911's

Manhood and Porsche...

Ah Phil...we'll let'cha keep your manhood with that 69E.

As far as driving at the limit, there is a different "feel" even below the limit on the SWB cars -- they have much more of a 356 feel than the later cars. Part of it could be the narrower tires and the 4.5" rims where the other is, of course, the shorter wheelbase. I believe that another factor to the difference is the quicker ratio steering rack that is in the early cars. I like the quicker feel and have put these racks in later LWB cars for a quicker and lighter feel.

Basically, the SWB cars are Lords of the autocross (just ask Tom Tweed) and the LWB cars are Kings of the Nurburgring...though they all are Uber Alles...Porsche!
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by mjk911
    Paid USD$16. Seems about right for this car???
    Unless there's a glaring non-disclosure in your description, please attach one of those bumper stickers which reads "Drive it Like You Stole it".

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

From your description, you stole that car. There have been worse condition SWB S models sold on EvilBay for north of $20K USD lately.

As far as driving the SWB cars goes, yes, their is a greater tendency to oversteer with 2" less wheelbase. But a lot of the problems were exacerbated by the skinny 4.5" wheels. If you put some modern tires on 6" rims on them, they are a lot less loopy.

I spun my '67S for the first time in 1967 when I was 19 years old. I had weaseled the keys out of my father for the evening, and was carving Carroll Canyon Rd. downhill from Miramar Rd. here in San Diego in a slight fog on a Saturday night, pretending I was Dan Gurney or something. I entered a diminishing radius turn without recognizing it soon enough, because of the visibility, and as I cranked in more steering, the rear wheels reached their grip limit, due to the dampness of the surface from the fog. All it took was an "Oh-oh" and a slight lift of the throttle, and I was facing backwards in a hurry. I didn't even know what "trailing throttle oversteer" was at the time, but I sure lived it.

Luckily, I didn't hit anything solid and just ended up in a ditch and drove away, but I learned respect for these cars early.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Good timing on this thread - was about to ask about values. Just found a '68S, not exactly in a barn, but tucked away in a multi-million dollar house!
    It's a European car (Sonauto in Paris - still has the chrome dealer tag on the engine lid), absoutely no rust, but had a repaint in a non-Porsche red (very nice), was originally Tangerine. 111k km.Incorrect foglights.Chrome is absolutely perfect. Interior is 9 out 10, with perfect door panels, no dash cracks, but aftermarket radio (original comes with car). Carpet is bright red velour - is it possible that this is original? Car has been in storage for a long time, but fired right up and ran smoothly. Numbers match. No oil leaks, amazingly. Webers were rebuilt about 1000 km ago, but seals are dried out again and they are leaking.No gearbox issues. New tires (from 5 years ago).
    That's a good price for a 68S in that condition!

I let my friend drive my car with the newly transplanted 2.7 and he walked away saying it was so much more raw than his 69S. I drove his 69S and walked away thinking it felt more friendly than my car. Given the opportunity to buy another SWB car...I would not hesitate. In fact I probably would look for a 68S...mjk911...pics!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Would people anticipate that as time goes by and SWBs become rarer, that early SWBs would become increasingly more valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche
    Would people anticipate that as time goes by and SWBs become rarer, that early SWBs would become increasingly more valuable?
    Thats generally how it works
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoran
    Basically, the SWB cars are Lords of the autocross (just ask Tom Tweed) and the LWB cars are Kings of the Nurburgring...
    Hi Michael--we were posting at almost the same time yesterday, and you nailed my feelings perfectly with this statement. My '67S has been my PCA autox car of choice for the last two years, and it is able to hang with the stock Boxster S (a fairly formidable autox weapon) in the tight stuff. On bigger tracks, I prefer the '73, so that's how I have it set up now. "Horses for courses," as they say.

In 2004-5, I dominated the G-Stock class so thoroughly with the '67S in Zone 8 that they have passed a new rule reclassifying all 911s to H-Stock for 2006 to allow the 944 drivers a chance to win! They should call it the "exclude Tom Tweed" rule.

2005 SDR autox results:
    http://web2.pcasdr.org/pca/season_st....php?database=

2005 Zone 8 results:
    http://www.pca.org/zone8/results/200...AL_%202005.htm

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

One thing I found to be Very important about the SWB cars, ( or any early 911), is originality. If a car has NO excuses, it brings the money fairly quickly. As soon as the mention of repaint, color change, or non matching number engine, the market begins to tremble. I am not saying anything is wrong with those things, but the market is very sensitive to non originality. As Paul says, a car is only original once. There is a very nice 68 for sale here on the board. But............non original engine. Even at 35K, I think that car would be gone with the original engine for 30-32K.

I agree with Rick. While originality is always a selling feature on any 911, there are far less spares around for the SWB cars, making them more difficult and expensive to restore properly. They also seem to have some crossover appeal with the 356 crowd, and that's a very particular group of enthusiasts.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964