Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sat in the Cayman S

Thumbs up Sat in the Cayman S

No one was allowed to drive it, but I did sit in it and make vroom, vroom noises. I was very impressed with the car. It looks much nicer in the flesh than in the photos, and I liked the photos well enough. There is a very good sense of overall proportional balance in the styling. I would lose the fog light nacells in the grill though...just too gimicky, cutesy. And there's nowhere near enough seat travel for legroom. I just make it with my right knee very close to the steering wheel (my inseam is 32 inches), but a larger driver would have trouble fitting, I think.

This car is amazing though. Just the thing as a personal sport coupe. If all the performance road-test reports are half way accurate, it would still be a must-have for my garage. The car has got me lusting heavily for an example in say, Aubergine, or Olive, Tangerine, Dalmatian Blue, Signal Orange....

I'm accepting donations to the Danish-American Relief Fund to help make this worthy dream a reality. Make your tax-deductable checks out to VonBulow Race Services, Stowe, Vermont.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    I just might make it with my right knee very close to the steering wheel (my inseam is 32 inches), but a larger driver would have trouble fitting, I think.
    Oh no, this is not good news for yours truely. My inseam is 35. I was really hoping this could be my next modern Porsche.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian, it's entirely possible that the seat was not working right, but I was really surprised by the cockpit space. I could live with it.

To me the car is just so right-looking in ways that none of the zillions of photos convey. You've got to see it and sit in it for yourself.

I'm sur that the first test drive for me will make any criticism evaporate. Like the side gills for example...they need work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RGruppe #183

New front grill-

RGruppe #183

a few mods..........

RGruppe #183

I've been tempted to buy one of these (and this thread doesn't help!). But I've sworn off of new sports cars. My new M3 is for sale now. Nothing to do with the car itself really - with SMG it's like driving the ultimate video game except if you crash you are real dead, not pretend dead .... one thing that bothers me, I guess, is the depreciation inherent in all of these cars. Buy it for $60K and it takes about a $10-15K hit every year. The other thing is the perfrmance limits are sooooooo high on all of these new cars. I find myself regularly traveling in triple digits with the M3 (I even bumped the electonic speed limiter at 155 one time ) and not giving it a second thought - something I rarely do with my other cars. That, and I've realized that I just have a preference for older non-computer-controlled cars. Just think of the classic 60/70s sportscars that can be purchased for $60K or less. The list is impressive! And they don't go down in value.

Curt,

I couldn't agree more about the depreciation of a new car. I would only buy a Cayman if it was a couple years old with a year or two of a factory warrenty left. Sure it would depreciate after that but not a huge amount and I would have a modern sports car not another old car to fix up.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

It's simple: ya gotta buy 'em already fixed up Brian! (that will probably sound funnier after your RS is done and in the driveway ... ).

Anyway, I guess my current logic (if there is such a thing in buying sportscars of any type .... ) is I'd rather have - for say $60K in fun money - a '77 308GTB and a '67 MB 280SL rather than a new M3 or Cayman.

You've got me thinking Curt. For $60,000 I could build 3 or maybe 4 early 911 rat-bastard hotrods.

BUT, I'm betting this Cayman S is one hell of a driver's car.

(then strip 2 or 3 hunnerd pounds of spurious luxury stuff off'n it, firm up the ride some, and punch the motor up to 375 or so...then you'd have sump'n)

RGruppe #183

Jens, i drove it last week, the first one here and it goes, faster than the boxter S and like a 914 6 on steroids. But the price is 78 k € with many options, and for that $$$$ you can get into a carrera, so i will wait before i get into a signal orange one, but the car moves. One thing though you cant see the engine from the top, everything from the bottom, and thats a bummer.