Thread: What Size Speaker?

What Size Speaker?

What size is the speaker that mounts in the dash? Do I need to go with a factory part or could I just pick up a modern speaker of the same size?

I have a Becker Europa that I'm going to hook up to an iPod with the Becker DIN adapter. I'm fine with the one speaker as I just want something for background noise or Traffic reports on talk radio.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Steve, the factory speakers are no longer produced. I did manage to find a NOS one a couple of years ago. It cost me $110, but it was literally, NOS. The guy had picked up a case of them at a swap meet, was reselling. At $110, he might have some left. Ahhh..just found the receipt on file. I bought the speaker on 3-26-04, from K's speed, 16392 Gothard St., Unit K
    Huntington Beach, CA 92647 Phone 714-847-5796 Fax 714-847-7516 and a websie listed as www.ksspeed.com Total with shipping was $107.50. I have no clue if the contact info is still good. Another option is that I can send you a tracing of the mounting holes of my original speaker if you'd like. PM a street address. You could then make an adaptor plate. By net searching, I found an antique radio oriented shop back east who said they could recone my old shot speaker for $100 or so. I opted for the NOS unit.
    Here's a pic of what the original looks like: (Whoops...can't post it...too big for this board)
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    An alternate idea... I installed a new CD player with an iPod input jack, and in the single speaker hole in the dash had 2 tiny speakers installed side by side with a custom grill with black fabric that fits right on top. Looks slick. Sounds pretty good. (Can't live with mono. Gotta drive with my tunes.)
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I just got the smaller size oval speaker (forgot the size, but it is a modern standard) from Radio Shack for $3.99 and cut my own adapter plate out of fiber board to fit it in. Very simple, it's not even bolted... just 2 side foam taped since gravity is on it's side here.

Works great... we're not talkin hi-fi here, and thankfully it's covered with a grille so nobody has called me on it's non-originality... yet.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Maybe a combination of Jared and Sandy's approach would be neat. My car is a long way from original so thats not necessaryily an issue though i do want to keep the speakers under the stock grill.

That Kspeed site is interesting. Anyone check out the RS seats here: http://www.ksspeed.com/index.php?mai...d=2927&mPath=2
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

When I was researching my problem a couple of years ago, the local Radio Shack store told me they no longer sell car stereos or speakers. Not sure if they meant that individual store or Radio Shack as a whole. Really though, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an adaptor plate. Just my personal hang-up, the "original" thing. A more modern speaker design would probably sound better...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)