Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy it?

Should I buy it?

I need the sage advice of all you experts out there - I let my emotions get in the way!! Found a nice T and don't know whether the price is too high...

1973.5 (CIS), good stuff and bad stuff:

Car is totally original and rust-free. Interior is virtually perfect, except for a dirty headliner (dirty=”patina”). Houndstooth fabric inserts are perfect, no rips, tears or wear. No dash cracks and original radio, tool kit, and owners manual. Numbers matching, 2-owner car, only 64,000 miles. All 5 Fuchs wheels are excellent. No modifications at all from stock. Runs fine (I haven't been able to take it on an extended test run).

But….paint is badly baked from the Arizona sun. Minor oil leak. Has not had the tensioner upgrade. Needs new tires. Has been sitting for almost 3 years in storage.
    Price is $13,000.

911t

you didn't mention how good or bad the paint is..........,but it sounds like a steal

The paint is really faded badly, and badly cracked and flaking on the engine lid - it's Gemini Blue, so not a pretty color when faded. It's curious that the interior is so good when the exterior is baked. The car moved to a cooler climate 9 years ago, but was always garaged. Maybe acid rain did it?

Sounds like a mechanical PPI would be in order, since you know the cosmetics.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Buy it. Buy it.

Yup, get it looked at by a pro (not yer sister's boyfriend's cousin's uncle who's s'posed to know about sporty cars ). Then buy it and paint it! Gemini Blue is a great color.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Faded Metallic Paint

Re the contrast between the badly wearing paint and the nice interior, that is exactly what has happened to both Dennis '70E and my '71T. Both cars were pampered but driven, and have the situation that you describe although mine is just beginning to deteriorate in the last 5-7 years.

This thread reviews the issue:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=8721

In addition to the PPI, I'd check with those on this board about matching paint availability for your specific color. On Dennis' and my cars (silver and gold metallic), the door jambs, trunk nose, engine lid surrounds, etc are excellent so a respray won't be so invasive if the paint can be matched well.

Good luck
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Since you asked, I say buy it. You can drive an ugly car for years and still enjoy the fun of a twisty road. Assuming the transmission, etc is sound. And if you have $5,000, you can get it painted and suddenly your car would be worth more than the $18k you invested (at least low 20s).

Think about the fundamentals of the car, not the skin deep consideration of the paint. Is it the year you want? Do you want a T? Do you want a targa or coupe? Is the original color what you want? Does it have the "S" options?

Must importantly to me, you said it is a 2-owner, bone stock, low-miles car with a sound stock interior. That is HUGE. Very very difficult to find cars like that and if you do, they get more in the marketplace. To my mind, sitting in an interior that is the way the factory sent it out makes a connection back to the era -- it puts me in that time and place. I think it is more important to be sitting in a nice interior driving, than standing outside looking a good paint job. Good luck.

Do you have the seller's name and phone number ....

By the way, it has something I've never seen before - under the dash, it has a very neat little tissue dispenser, quite attractive with chrome accents and a small metal Porsche logo! Anyone ever seen these??

Thank you everyone for your excellent advice!