Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Finally okay to throw $$$ into that "non-original-hot-rod-driver"?

How about “Mr Potato Head” a version of that kids game but for men who are now older and have got more money? After all often many such cars are created out of fairly interchangeable set of parts fitted to a body just like the kids game

As for the beardy guy from Sheffield who appropriated sports purpose rennsport touches along with stickers and few decorative touches then gets a cult following for being some kind of creative genius … that’s silly.

Development done by skilled possibly engineers unaffected by vagaries of fashion to win races and homologate parts and whole-vehicles to me is something I find interesting and can relate to. When those things are appropriated decades later and become a fashion statement and that terms like “outlaw” get used en mass to describe (beyond a few such as Emory who maybe coin a phrase years’ ago to describe their modification work) — then I’m not keen on those terms.

When does it stray into becoming an affectation? Things that start small and interesting among a few can be special but when popularised can become rather passé

To be clear it’s good that folks enjoy the modifications and its owners prerogative to do what they wish to personalise their 911. Its just I’m not a fan of terms like “outlaw” or “hot rod” and other things especially now so often used. So unnecessary.

Joking apart folks they are simply “modified”.

I’m sure lots will disagree …

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-10-2023 at 08:17 AM.

Modified seems to general….definitely not a cult follower of Magnus ….but he has a wonderful collection and not all with stickers and trendy details…his passion for Porsche is what got him a personal invite from Porsche to visit..
    Many of his cars are bone stock and most are limited production models…
    Lets not diminish his commitment & passion. Forget the beard

Modified is a less descriptive term …..could mean anything …modified my seat frame for a lower position….
    Modified my horn tone for a more treble tone ..
    An Outlaw is a composition of modifications to achieve a certain aesthetic or performance , believe the best are within a Porsche vocabulary.

Modifications to Porsches that do not follow the exact “law “ build as they left the factory are
    Simply an Outlaw “out of the laws established” for an item or car .
    It implies a certain passion for modifications
    Its really not a trendy term…

Great discussion, lets hear more commentary
    Last edited by 71gold; 02-13-2023 at 02:16 AM.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

good commentary here. i actually find the term "outlaw" out of place for 911's. this term was coined by Gary Emory (Rod's father) years ago as the types of modifications to the 356's he (and later Rod) were shunned by the purists in the community. they created the outlaw badge to proudly display on their cars - accepting the outlaw labels they were given by most of the 356 community. i see parallels to the Outlaw subgenre of county music back in the 60's - those musicians were also creating a counterculture of sorts from the traditional country music of the time. this is why i feel outlaw is out of place for 911's - there is actual history to the 356 using that label. but to each their own!

now, the term hotrod or hot rod (who knows the correct spelling!) is a term i use for my modified 911. however, i personally feel this is a term that is widely used to describe modified cars of all types over the years in Southern CA. so maybe it is a regional thing? i grew up in SoCal, around cars my entire life -- all types of cars and circles. i modified most cars i owned - including a hotrodded 1967 beetle -- we called our modified VW's back in the 80's hotrods. i grew up around American muscle as well - and the term was widely used, even for beautiful, high dollar streetrods - the term was almost interchangeable between streetrod and hotrod -- not just cars using parts from other makes/models. the car culture continues deep in my family and past -- my son dated the granddaughter of Alex Xydias, who is the godfather of the hotrod culture in SoCal (got some cool shirts out of that relationship!). anyway, this is my long response to why i think hotrod is appropriate for many modified cars, including 911’s - especially if you live in SoCal
    Last edited by myflat6; 02-12-2023 at 01:56 PM.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

Yes great car BUT You can not live in California and have that car. the cut off year for smog check is 1975 and that car is a 1977. And with smog check the engine has to be original of it fails. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by myflat6 View Post
    good commentary here. i actually find the term "outlaw" out of place for 911's. this term was coined by Gary Emory (Rod's father) years ago as the types of modifications to the 356's he (and later Rod) were shunned by the purists in the community. they created the outlaw badge to proudly display on their cars - accepting the outlaw labels they were given by most of the 356 community. i see parallels to the Outlaw subgenre of county music back in the 60's - those musicians were also creating a counterculture of sorts from the traditional country music of the time. this is why i feel outlaw is out of place for 911's - there is actual history to the 356 using that label. but to each their own!

now, the term hotrod or hot rod (who knows the correct spelling!) is a term i use for my modified 911. however, i personally feel this is a term that is widely used to describe modified cars of all types over the years in Southern CA. so maybe it is a regional thing? i grew up in SoCal, around cars my entire life -- all types of cars and circles. i modified most cars i owned - including a hotrodded 1967 beetle -- we called our modified VW's back in the 80's hotrods. i grew up around American muscle as well - and the term was widely used, even for beautiful, high dollar streetrods - the term was almost interchangeable between streetrod and hotrod -- not just cars using parts from other makes/models. the car culture continues deep in my family and past -- my son dated the granddaughter of Alex Xydias, who is the godfather of the hotrod culture in SoCal (got some cool shirts out of that relationship!). anyway, this is my long response to why i think hotrod is appropriate for many modified cars, including 911’s - especially if you live in SoCal
    How about "Personally tailored" or "Expertly curated"
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by myflat6 View Post

I just call mine a mutt. The numbers don't match. A lot of the details come from other non-Ts and aftermarket parts. The color isn't the same as it is from the factory. It's fun as hell to drive.
    1971 911T with a 2.7

"Personally tailored" or "Expertly curated" or "Mutt" all work as well
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

If the mods are tasteful and well executed....there will always be a "seat" for that seat.
    There are plenty of folks out there that will pay for quality hot rods.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V