Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrades What Is Acceptable?

I read an interesting quote today, from Craig Jackson of Barrett-Jackson, I think. Basically, he says that you can't pay too much at an auction (or eBay, by extension). "You can only pay 1 bid increment more than market value". Hmmmm, think about that for a minute.

Jackson assumes market value is what the car sells for at auction. Does this include the auctioneer's cut? There are other definitions as to what market value means which may be more real-world.

Sherwood

Rule #10 violated

Looks like someone violated dhopkins Rule #10, of what not to do to your P-cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...QQcmdZViewItem

The implication is the guy you outbid sets the market value. i.e., you could sell the car to him and only lose the bid increment (+ the secret little 8% buyer commission they never talk about!!) if you had to .... more hype from B-J to help legitimize those guys contemplating a $1.5 million bid for a Hemi Cuda, I suppose.

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    I can't believe anyone would do that to a Porsche. The Porsche engine is the key to the uniqueness of the car.
    Rule number 5 1/2: painting the engine compartment to match the body color.
    Don

There's more agreement in this thread than disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins
    I can't believe anyone would do that to a Porsche. The Porsche engine is the key to the uniqueness of the car.
    Rule number 5 1/2: painting the engine compartment to match the body color.
    Don
    Oh-oh...a note of disagreement. The factory painted engine surrounds black...UNTIL the 1973 model year. Then they were body color. A mute point with BBII, right?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Perhaps too many acceptability police here?

Sherwood

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!
    We need an elite group to enforce the rules. They could wear armbands and have a special salute. If you are caught breaking the rules you are excommunicated from the Porsche community. Awards would be given to those who do the most for maintaining the purity of the race.

Thumbs down Oh, believe me,

They already exist. They just don't wear the armbands in public. Disagree with them in public and you get nasty private messages. Now, ask me if I care!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586