Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrades What Is Acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    They already exist. They just don't wear the armbands in public. Disagree with them in public and you get nasty private messages. Now, ask me if I care!
    That's funny! I think it's funny when people are viewing a car and the owner walks away and the remaining crowd goes on to discuss what parts aren't original.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Is the NSA monitoring this thread??

(oops, I guess they are now!)

That car is da bomb.

Some RF equipment control rooms I work in are HEMP sealed.

That parts bin is laden down with hardware.

There,...Now we have the NSA's attention!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by gymmoe
    Guys, but what about the Carrera RS? Almost if not all of these cars(especially the lightweights) were rally or race cars and have had many crashes or fender benders, blown engines and rebuilt trans, and have been fixed many times over and it doesn't seem to affect their value at all. Oh and I don't mean LeMans race history either, I'm just trying to say that these cars were work horses(they were driven hard,yes even abused), and many if not all have or had rust and bondo repairs, and don't have thinner glass anymore, and they still go for big bucks. They all have been repainted and some not to the original color or even restored to original built sheet. Alot of tourings have been converted to lightweights, and some RS's have been converted to RSR's. I do notice though that they don't have pressure chain tensioner update kits or carbs for that matter(well now that I think about it I'm sure some were coverted to carbs) . As of right now it seems that whats acceptable with the RS is different than with the S. Isn't the 911S's the next best thing to a RS, or was this an unfair analogy(comparison)? Something to think about with our cars (S,E,T). JIM
    RS's have gotten away with alot of things a T,E,orS could not. Just because there are not that many left.

How many original cars are still alive? I purchased RS #197. For one reason, its almost unbelievable originality. It pains me that I can not justify driving the Piss out of it every day. It has a feel that no clone can every reproduce. I classify it as fine art that I can enjoy sparingly.

Factory mods give many more porsche owers the oportunity to enjoy a car to its full potential. If you have not driven an early car with a MFI 2.7, upgraded suspension and rubber, you have no idea the joy it can bring. Will it drive like an original RS? No. but it depends on what you are looking for. My 2.7 spec E feels faster than my RS, But the RS feels way better when I drive it. There is something special about the way these cars came out of the factory. What are you looking for, great lap times around the track or the original feel of a stock car?

I think every Porsche owner needs a Original car that they can look at, and at least one hot rod they can drive the Piss out of every day.
    My .06 cents, for what it is worth.

Joe, if you look at the original manufactered numbers of different model cars, meaning 911 T,E,S and you take in to account that a coupe is a different model than a targa, but a coupe with a sun roof is just an option(doesn't make it a different model), then a RS touring is just a lightweight that is fully loaded. So they made some 1590 73 RSs and only 989 72 911S targas(porsche had to retool to build the 1972 911 because of the oil filler door),so they made many more 73 RSs than 72 S targas(S targas are rarer in any year). Looking at another thread about which car is the car that won; and if a car was a 1972 model first and change into a 73; and two race cars looking exactly the same showing up at the same event with one being a factory cloned posing as an original winner; a car in the Porsche museum with misleading heritage (maybe); it just seems to me that what is acceptable has gone to a new level and that includes the guys from the factory. JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

Joe, if you look at the original manufactered numbers of different model cars, meaning 911 T,E,S and you take in to account that a coupe is a different model than a targa, but a coupe with a sun roof is just an option(doesn't make it a different model), then a RS touring is just a lightweight that is fully loaded. So they made some 1590 73 RSs and only 989 72 911S targas(porsche had to retool to build the 1972 911 because of the oil filler door),so they made many more 73 RSs than 72 S targas(S targas are rarer in any year). Looking at another thread about which car is the car that won; and if a car was a 1972 model first and change into a 73; and two race cars looking exactly the same showing up at the same event with one being a factory cloned posing as an original winner; a car in the Porsche museum with misleading heritage (maybe); it just seems to me that what is acceptable has gone to a new level and that includes the guys from the factory. JIM
    I will add that of the 1590 RS's ever made only the first 1000 had light wheight body panels, along with many other unique options that disapeared after the 1,000 unit number was reached. One other thing to keep in mind. They only made the RS for 18 months. The rest of the models had suttle changes since 1969. Sure the 1972 is unique because of the Oil Filler cap, I wish they would have left it there.

Joe, so the irony is that most would buy a RS that has been hit and is non matching numbers and with a few updates, that an original S that hasn't been hit and is matching numbers and no updates. What if the choice was between a S that had been hit and was not matching numbers but otherwise stock, and a T that had never been hit but was matching numbers(I pose this question to anyone on this board which would you buy, if you could only buy one, the 911T @ $26,000 or 911S @ $31,000)? Both cars are very clean inside and out and they are the same color silver and same year 1972. The 911T is a coupe(2931 produced) and the 911S is a targa(989 produced). Oh the S does have turbo tie rods,turbo valve covers,and a chain tensioner upgrade, RS door panels, everything else is stock was restored in 2000. The T is stock, no updates was restored in 1999. They both have complete tool kits. Anybody which would you buy? JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

Take the "S"

Joe, so the irony is that most would buy a RS that has been hit and is non matching numbers and with a few updates, that an original S that hasn't been hit and is matching numbers and no updates. What if the choice was between a S that had been hit and was not matching numbers but otherwise stock, and a T that had never been hit but was matching numbers(I pose this question to anyone on this board which would you buy, if you could only buy one, the 911T @ $26,000 or 911S @ $31,000)? Both cars are very clean inside and out and they are the same color silver and same year 1972. The 911T is a coupe(2931 produced) and the 911S is a targa(989 produced). Oh the S does have turbo tie rods,turbo valve covers,and a chain tensioner upgrade, RS door panels, everything else is stock was restored in 2000. The T is stock, no updates was restored in 1999. They both have complete tool kits. Anybody which would you buy? JIM
    Quick comment about the RS. There are way more than a few updates over an S. If you haven't read the Carrenra RS book by Dr. Thomas Gruber and DR Georg Konradwheim yet, you should.

My .02 cents on your question is the S from an investment standpoint. There is something about the S on the lid. People will pay the money for them. That is why this site is called The Early S Registry not The Early T Registry. As long as the car looks presentable and runs and drives good the S will be worth more in the long run. simply economics. supply and demand.

If I had to pick between the two I would take the T coupe drop in a 3.8 and make a hot rod out of it. I would not own a targa, regardles of the model or the condition.

It is a hard comparison because the Coupe, Targa thing are two totaly different Porsche owners. It's kinda like music, some like country some like rock and roll very few mix the two.

Joe, when I stated that the RS had upgrades, I meant that it wasn't stock or original in my example(turbo tie rods, carbs instead of MFI, 1974 aluminum trailing arms,etc.) and the S was totally original and stock, most would still buy the RS over the S (including me). Since you mentioned that the RS has alot more to it, I disagree, in THIS example: a fully loaded RS touring has only a very few things different than the 1973S. That being that the engine is 2.7 not 2.4 and flared fenders with 7" rims in the rear and a ducktail, thats it. Infact the later RSs started out as 73s body then transformed into RS tourings. Now with the lightweights there are more differences. Even you stated earlier that the differences between model year 911Ss' was suttle from 1969 -73 so going from 2.0 engine to 2.2 to 2.4 must be suttle to you; and I'm stating that going from 2.4 to 2.7 is more suttle than 2.0 to 2.4(just my opinion). You did state that the oil door was a cool factor in 72(what about the front chin spoiler,it did as much for the car as the ducktail did for the RS). Most people would agree that the nearest thing to a RS is the 72-73 911S and in terms of the last batch with De Luxe package aka tourings the differences are closer than people think. JIM
    Early 911S Registry #161

Joe, when I stated that the RS had upgrades, I meant that it wasn't stock or original in my example(turbo tie rods, carbs instead of MFI, 1974 aluminum trailing arms,etc.) and the S was totally original and stock, most would still buy the RS over the S (including me). Since you mentioned that the RS has alot more to it, I disagree, in THIS example: a fully loaded RS touring has only a very few things different than the 1973S. That being that the engine is 2.7 not 2.4 and flared fenders with 7" rims in the rear and a ducktail, thats it. Infact the later RSs started out as 73s body then transformed into RS tourings. Now with the lightweights there are more differences. Even you stated earlier that the differences between model year 911Ss' was suttle from 1969 -73 so going from 2.0 engine to 2.2 to 2.4 must be suttle to you; and I'm stating that going from 2.4 to 2.7 is more suttle than 2.0 to 2.4(just my opinion). You did state that the oil door was a cool factor in 72(what about the front chin spoiler,it did as much for the car as the ducktail did for the RS). Most people would agree that the nearest thing to a RS is the 72-73 911S and in terms of the last batch with De Luxe package aka tourings the differences are closer than people think. JIM
    Take some time and do some research. There are so many unique things about the first 1000 or so cars it would take me all day to describe them to you. What about the transmition cooler, the sway bars the light weight panels, etc....

There is a reason why they are selling for over $200k.