Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max oil pressure for front cooler lines?

Max oil pressure for front cooler lines?

Guys,
    I plan to have a local guy rebuild the flex lines for the external 73 S front oil cooler assembly I am restoring. What max psi spec. do I need to tell them to use when they rebuild the lines? I know that the guage on the dash goes to 140. Is that psi? Thanks.
    John, member # 322.
    73 S sporto and 73 T coupe with mfi 2.7

The highest oil pressure is when the engine is cold but your thermostat won't open until it gets to about 80 C. I would therefore expect that your max warm oil pressure would be the limit, no more than 70 PSI.

Even though Greens is probably right, the factory had a much higher standard... I just replaced my oil lines. The 90 degree was new and here, but the other was sent from the 'Fadaland' ... NOS - in the plastic factory bag - the hose date stamped 6/72 ... as you can see the factory tested to 18bars... about 250 lbs....

Also note the two different types of fittings ... the new is crimped and the old is screwed on...

Hope this helps,
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Guys,

Thanks for the help on this. I plan to head up to the hydralics shop on Friday. Looks like I'll ask for the cost for 200 psi and then see how much extra to go higher.

Chuck, did you have your non factory fabricated locally? What did they charge?

John

No John,

The newer crimped hose IS the factory superceded replacement... that's the way they all come now... it was a fluke that the NOS was sent...

I was tempted as well to go to my local hydraulic hose shop (Orme Bros.) and have'm made for about 1/2 the expense, however I was warned that the overall length of each hose is REALLY critical.... At the time, I had the time to try for the factory hoses... so I went for it. I've kept my old hoses to have redone... however these things last for about 20 years or more ... so ...

Hope this helps,
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

critical hose length

Hi Chuck,
    I'm wondering way the flex hose length on the front monted oil cooler is so critical...what do you think???
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Ed,

This is what I've been told:

- To match the volume and tested pressure the hose needs to be pretty big, and with the short run, relatively stiff...

- If they're to long the fittings will jamb the alloy threads on the cooler before seating...

- If they're to short it won't tighten far enough on the threads of the cooler to seat ...

Hope this helps,
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Lightbulb

Thanks Chuck...I never considered the 'fit'.
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Chuck, Can I ask you what the dealler charged you for the oem hoses? The local dealer here wants $85 each for the two hoses at the oil tank end and roughly $65 each for the two at the trombone end. $300 bucks means I have to send my wife's cat out on the interstate median to collect aluminum cans to recycle.

John

John,

The way prices are go'n up .... snap those up now bud...

I have retrofit an early radiator type cooler in my '73 and the bend for one (the NOS they sent) is different.... so ... I don't even want to tell'ya how much for THAT one ... the other was about the same as you're paying.

... send da-wife's cat out collecting...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter