Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The real 73 RSR TF Winner - Porsche Factory Scam??

The real 73 RSR TF Winner - Porsche Factory Scam??

The brief discussion of Targa Floria winners in the Portland Parade thread reminded me of a thread idea I had last summer, but forgot to post.

As Jim mentions in the other thread the car shown below has been owned, shown and raced for many years by American Peter Kitchak. The first photo shows the car at Goodwood Festival of Speed last summer. And the second photo is one I took of the car at Rennsport in Daytona - 2004. Seems to be no doubt that this is the actual 73 Targa Florio winning RSR.

BUT...

The third photo below is from the Porsche Factory Museum taken this summer (2005). When I saw the museum car I was really surprised because it is being portrayed as the 73 TF winner. Even the museum catalog under a photo of the museum car says, "The "Number 8" Porsche was the winner of the Targa Florio...". Another photo says, "Ready for racing again after thorough renovation: RSR "Number 8".

Technically correct, the "Number 8" was the winner, but what they don't say is that 'this' number 8 isn't the same car as the number 8 car that actually won the race.

To give the museum some credit, in the museum book description, in the very last paragraph, the very last sentence, it says, "An original RSR painted in the Martini colours was fully overhauled for the Porsche Museum in 2001...".

Kind of brings into question the credibility and authenticity of all of the cars in the museum collection. Unless you really knew to read the catalog closely you would believe the museum car is the 73 TF winner.

Kitchak's RSR at Goodwood and Daytona
    Attached Images Attached Images   

60 356 Roadster Race Car - ex Dick Barbour
    60 356 Roadster Race Car - Emory Outlaw
    63 Porsche Powered Special Race Car
    67 911S Stock
    67 911S Race Car - ARRC '69 & '71, Daytona 24 '75
    Esses Motorsports

Why didn't you ask someone to show you the chassis ID if you doubted it.
    I somehow dont believe its a fake... Just a poor translation from German to English.
    The Targa car has been at the museum forever.. I still have personal photos of it back in 1975. I remember it still in the early 90's with all its roadrash. Perhaps they thought it was time for a makeover.

Regards, Robert.

There was more than one car at the Targa, I think 3. The Porsche Museum has a 917 painted like the Le Mans winner but it is not. The original is owned by Julio Palmaz so I guess the Museum RSR could also be painted up.

Don

Prehaps I should have framed my post as "which is the real 73 TF winner?". I don't know for sure, but I lean towards Kitchak's for these reasons:

1. The museum catalog description of thier car.
    2. Rennsport - Kitchak's car was there, represented as the 73 TF winner and was included in the photo shoot of important 911 race cars (see below). The museum was well represented with people and cars at Rennsport. If Kitchak's was a fake and the museum has the actual winner, why would they have allowed Kitchak's car to be included and hold claim to being the TF winner?

I'm open and interested in hearing other thoughts or facts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

60 356 Roadster Race Car - ex Dick Barbour
    60 356 Roadster Race Car - Emory Outlaw
    63 Porsche Powered Special Race Car
    67 911S Stock
    67 911S Race Car - ARRC '69 & '71, Daytona 24 '75
    Esses Motorsports

Kitchak's car is 0588. It was found in a warehouse (by my old boss Bob Johnson) in Kansas or somewhere in the midwest. It was a bare shell and had the long Penske rear wing on it.

So.....if the winning Targa car was 0588....????
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Can't quite see but there looks to be another no.8 car in that photo near identical to the car in question
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

That's the museum car......
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook

Are you sure you haven't got them the wrong way round
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Kitchaks car has the "Mary Stuart" tail and the Museum car has a standard duck tail.......is that was you're refering to?
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook

Just making sure I had it the right way round. Why is it called a Mary Stuart tail? Anything to do with the Queen of Scots
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681