Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this for real? $49,000!!

Question Is this for real? $49,000!!

This one scares me at that price. Am I missing something?

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/80786216.htm

Open the photos and take a good look. Am I wrong here?

Yea but its an S
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

It's $15k overpriced, even at first glance. Digging deeper will assuredly surface more negatives. The seats and steering wheel alone are red flags.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

The cars that sell at those high ticket prices have bulletproof records and are original in all respects. This car doesn't appear to meet the bar.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

You will also notice that the ad states that the car was first delivered in Germany - meaning that it is a German car. This is may be one basis for the higher asking price of the car in Europe.
    Believe it or not, many Germans (Europeans) are willing to pay a premium for an early 911 that was sold in Europe and not the USA. I get the impression that they think that if the car was first sold in the USA and somehow ended up back in Germany, it is a mongrel. Kind of superiority complex. Or maybe it's because the paper trail is easier to follow in German, and Germans are pretty meticulous about documentation. Also, their DMV exams (TUV) are hardcore, which means that any car that passes this test year after year can't be a rust bucket or hack job - or as they call it a "Bastler".
    The fact is, I have never seen as nearly as many clean early 911's in Europe as I have seen in the USA (I have also not seen as much **** either). Sadly for me, I have also found that there are very few good early 911 mechanics in Europe (at least in Switzerland and Southern Germany) although I finally found one last Summer.
    I am guessing that many of the guys from Europe that discover our little community of enthusiasts on his board eventually realize that in some ways the early Porsche community and hardcore collectors in the USA have really taken the early 911 car nut thing to the next level. Just show them SWBSam's car - or the have them flip thru the entire "Show Your Ride" thread. It speaks for itself...
    Forgot to also mention I noticed that the turn signal lenses on the 72S for sale are black rimmed and not the correct silver. I wonder what else was restored incorrectly during the "complex" restoration.

Translation

Kenik- I agree in principal with you,but this one ad translates as follows: "Porsche 911 2,4s PORSCHE 911,2.4 S COUPE A SPLASH. 190PS. MODEL 72, INITIAL DELIVERY GERMANY, RARE COLOR OLIVE, NEW ENGINE, STAINLESS BASIS. VERY COMPLEX RESTORATION. COMPLETELY DOCUMENTS." This may be an exception,but it isn`t an original car as you and I would define it.My point was to point out the trend line in pricing,both here and overseas. TFM
    Member:S Registry #864

Gruen911, i could not agree more with you, since i live here and have lived in the states for better part of my life i can give ou my take.
    They will pay more for German deliverd cars or origin cars, does not matter the country , hree in spain, its nearly impossible to buy an original spanish early 911, remember Franco reinged at the time, and the only imports where Mercedez for the embassys, the rest of the cars where imported be diplomats. In the mid 60 thru the 70 i guess there where may be 5 or 6 porsches, must say the ones that where sold here where S and R, one or two. So now that everyone wants one some guys want an original spainish one, no dice here so they will pay for these kinds of cars, thats if they sell them, most wont. In Germany and France and thru europe its the same, in italy most of the early ones have been transfomed so their goes the neighborhood.
    As far as mechanics, here in spain, even motor meister would be a king here, so that gives you an idea, lets not talk about the big guns from the US, they could probably triple what they charge, all because on the knowledge.
    As far as meticulous goes, no one beats the US grupe, you aalso have to remember you guys have deeeeep pockets and the burocracy in the US in far less than here in europe, we cant change the size of our tires or rims, just because we want to, with have too reregister the registration, and go thru the whole process, and its costly, u see it has to go thruan engenier who is credited an the whole BS. Also most of the guys here live in flats, ofcourse the guys who own porsches well , the are well to do and probably have a house.
    But the guys who do own the nice early ones, in Germany, austria and the rest of northen europe have very nice cars, but never with the detail the the gruope here or in the US does.
    It all boils down to money, you guys have or most of you guys have twice and triple and 10 times the salaries or incomes that the avarge european does. I personaly do want an german deliverd car, an S just to have a EU origin car, but i will buyany day a Cal car or any car from the early class, because i know most of the guys have invested real good money, and have done many neat things to it, my favorite car that i drive is an original Cal car and i get many praises everyday.
    As for machanics here in spain, may be 3 or 4, in a country of 42 million, thats why i am hooked here every day.
    Also you guys have too remember, most of the production was aimed like its now for the US, a country of 400 million , it makes a difrence, thats why you guys are the super power of the world in most every aspect. I am lucky i have of both worlds.
    My two cents here.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    I think the boys in the UK might disagree (about the care and quality of their restos) , or is that no longer (or was it ever) a part of Europe, old or new?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Biddeford is just up the road. I wonder how much they would charge me to look at it ?

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    The seller says in the ad:

"Having spent a "King's Ransom", a complete rebuild of the original engine was performed including new sleeves, pistons, bearings, valves, throttle shafts & housings, clutch assembly & anything else that moves & needed restored".

Well you know, if I had spent a "King's Ransom" I would certainly include a photo of that "Regal" engine. Don't you find the exclusion of the photo where all of daddy’s money went rather suspicious?
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)