Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My idiot/sad story: a rare 1972 + 3/4 - long story

Buying a car sight unseen

I bought my car, a Nor Cal 'S' last April, sight unseen. If you ever do this, I suggest one thing that put me at ease. The PO agreed that if the car wasn't everything he said it was, that we could scrap the deal. Anybody who is that confident in a deal should have nothing to hide. After a PPI at his shop (I checked it's rep on this board first), I felt it was a go. I bought two one way tix and brought the wife. All I can say is it was the best transaction buying a car I have ever had. BadBilly, there is hope and I know it sucks to say "be patient", but it's true. You'll find your car, be it an S, T or E.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

>I applaud you for disclosing your trials to the 911 community and not trying to unload the car on some unsuspecting, uninformed individual

That would be really nasty - I've disclosed this on Pelican as well, just to be sure I would never resell it to an unsuspecting buyer. I would never do this, it's bad Karma ;-) I take this car as my punishment for lots of good porsche Karma over the years: I've bought a nice SC, a nice 993, 2 nice 356 and never had an issue. I still have one of the 356s too ;-)

At worst, what I'll do is find me a cheap old SC with cosmetic issues and transplant the early car bits to it (hood, fenders, chrome, etc) and make an RS clone. Then I can sell my 2.4 mtor, tranny ,wheels, and various bits and crush the shell.

I am not sure which is best, make this car a race car with a roll cage or transplant the good parts (it's 99.5% rust free, the rear window corner is the only rust). I'm gonna use it as a daily driver for a while and see... ;-) Won;t cost me a thing to do that, or if it does, it'll point me in the correct direction ;-)