Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash Treatment

Dash Treatment

How do you keep your dash from cracking on the N.E. corner of the speaker cut out. I have a perfect dash in my RS and would hate to see that nasty crack appear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

34 years, still an uncracked original dash. Keep it out of the sun, and although the concours crowd says Eeeewww...I still use armorall. I use a sunshade thingie when parked in the sun as well...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Keep the sun off...like Paul, my 68 is crack free. Shades, and garages are your dashes best friends...

Cheers,
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Not to veer off the subject, but for those of us who have the 'optional' crack on the NE corner ..... has anyone attempted a repair to this? I've considered filling it and then taking some of that 'vinyl mend' material to finish it off. I even bought the kit but haven't tried it. It includes something to replicate the grain pattern. Is it worth it to even try? Part of the problem is the edges of the crack are warped up ever so slightly so even if the color/grain match, it will be slightly uneven.

The obvious has already been stated: minimize sun contact w/ the dash.

For an xtra measure of protection I would use Lexol Vinylex Spray that
    has UV protection & essential oils
    I have used this for years, great stuff.
    Armorall is bush-league
    Read why here...
    http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=13
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

As for an actual UV protectant, I've had the best luck (and I've tried them ALL) with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Most enthusiast detailers will agree. You should be able to find it at your favorite car-care supply. It is not shiny or greasy, and is water based, gives a "new" look, and can be buffed to a low/no gloss (almost invisible) with a terrycloth after application. (Try applying with a clean foam wax applicator). A quick web search will yeild tons of positive results as well.

Anthony DeMichael - Stoddard Imported Cars.

Just ordered the 303. I'll report my finding.

From the Car Care Specialties site:

"Died in the wool?" That's one of the better slip ups I've read lately.

Tom

Curt, I have a guy down here I'm going to try later this summer. I'll let you know what happens.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

dash repair

Curt,

I have used the vinyl repair kit on my dash which was full of nasty scars and it came out pretty good. Be patient, just use small amounts of that stuff and don't heat it up too hot. A little bit of sanding, then rub the Swissol (or 303 protectant) gently in and repeat if necessary. A crack might be too deep to get filled properly, I would use some leathergel to fill the crack, and cure it slowly with a heatgun. Then finish it using the vinyl repair kit.
    Good luck,

Cees