Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Keep a Fire Extinguisher in Your 911?

Do You Keep a Fire Extinguisher in Your 911?

I'm doing a survey here: How many of you carry a fire extinguisher in your 911?

PS: This is not my car....and I don't know the story that goes with this photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-71S

"The 1970-to-1971 2.2-liter S with mechanical fuel injection is the absolute top choice. These 2.2 S engines are short-stroke, high-compression powerhouses without substantial emissions-control clutter, and they have a powerband with gobs of high-rpm torque. With their mechanical fuel injection still intact, they make a spine-tingling shriek as they shoot to redline."

Forbes magazine 7/29/03
    Email: http://picasaweb.google.com/sandiego...eat=directlink

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au

YIKES!!! That's not pretty...

Short answer? YES! But then I have one in the Multivan too...old habits die hard - never had a fire of my own, but thankfully have had an extinguisher on board to help a few others on occasion. My Daddy raised me to make sure all the safety gear was always in the car, just in case. I hope because I'm prepared I'll never need it (for my cars) . The first aid kit in "Bertha" gets a beating though...if we're miles from anywhere and one of the kids wounds themselves (usually the little guy Billy) at least I've got the basics to patch 'em up! Happens fairly regularly too ...

I can remember pulling up after a transport stage on a Grand Prix Rally down here a few years back. Parked next to another road-racer 911 with carbies fitted. It was a very hot day and my navigator and I couldn't believe our eyes as all of a sudden WHOOSH! The back end of his car lights up and I'm flying out of mine with extinguisher in hand screaming at this guy who was still sitting in his car that it was alight. Between 2 or 3 of us we got it out pretty quick, did some patch ups and got him up and running for the next stage. A friend of mine had trouble with her MFI too, which is pretty rare...just reinforced to me that I never go anywhere without an extinguisher in my car. I'd make a great "boy scout" .

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

I always have one in both the cars (although it is a factory fitted one in the M Benz) and a spare on a wall in the garage
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Yes...

In all my cars... never had to use them thank God... except for once on someone else's car...

It's smart and cheep insurance...

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yes, I always have one in the 911. I guess I should add one to my Benz as well.

It looks like the owner of this car had one but it didn't do much good.

I wonder if he left the ignition on. If the fuel pump was still running it might account for why the extinguisher couldn't put out the fire.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    yup, and ive used it too with great success. check out the thread paul started when he asked about extinguishers a few weeks ago
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I do now!

After reading the recent threads I stumped up ($120) for a nice looking stainless steel Safecraft 2.5lb Halon extinguisher w/ mount. The mount holes lined up with the inspection cover screws between the seats and it bolted right in.

Looks good and now I have peace of mind.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    Steve, et. al.

Is a 2.5 lb. halon the ideal ticket? Obviously you don't want one larger than necessary. Do you or anyone else have a good photo of one mounted in that position (between the seats)?

Thanks.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    AAAAACCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

One in each car and a couple in the house.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell