Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing/swapping the speedo on a '69 911

Removing/swapping the speedo on a '69 911

I just tried to remove the speedo on my '69 911E and run into a problem. I know it's normally a quite easy task: open the trunk, try to reach the 2 knurled nuts and pull the speedo out. I did it before on my '67 911S. But this time with the 911E, the whole blower system is in the way. No chance to get to the back of the speedo. Do I have to remove the blower case etc.? If yes, can anybody give me a tip how to do it best? Thanks a lot for your help, Mike

Can you get to the back of the tacho or the clock? If so you should be able to get your hand behind the speedo.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Hi Nick

Thanks for your feedback. All instruments are quite hard to reach. I have a chance to reach one knurled nut of the tach from the back/from the trunk, but otherwise.... At the moment, it really looks like I'd have to remove the whole blower case. I'll wait another few days with this task and hope that someone knows the right trick

If you need to remove any of the blower parts, you will only have to remove the side section to reach the back of the dials. Two bolts which screw in from the foot well, disconnect the cables and loosen the jubilee clip.
    Should take just a few minutes. Or take a gauge out the side of the speedo, may even remove the speaker panel to get access to help you along.

HTH

Alan

Doesn't work...

Hi Alan

I've just removed the driver's side parts of the blower, i.e. the plastic elbow case. Unfortunately, that doesn't give much more access. Also, removed the loud speaker in the dash board. Now I can access the clock, but that's about it :-) I'm sure I have to remove the whole blower case. Does anybody know if this just means to losen the 2 screws behind the black mesh/vent (below the windshield) or more work? Thanks

PS: I really wonder how a Porsche garage removed a speedo etc. on these models. It's so easy on the early ones and on the later ones, but with this one...
    Mike, member #841

Mike,

It has been a little while since I did this on my '69, but it really does not take much to remove the blower assembly. Really just a 5 minute job. Remove the screws behind the screen under the windshield as you previously mentioned. Remove the pinch clips securing the ruber air ducts tot he blower assembly. You should now be able to work the blower assembly free. The wires to the blower motor should have enough slack that you do not have to disconnect them. Move the blower assembly out of the way and you have easy access to the back of the speedo.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

I find it easier to remove the blower assembly completely.

In addition to Brooke's comments above you need to free the rubber connector at the rainwater drain pipe at the bottom centre & disconnect the bowden (operating) cable that comes from the heater slider. Then remove the blower assembly.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

When I took my 69 912 apart, I found that once I took the speaker grill out, I could get to the clock. Once I had the clock out, I could get to the speedo.

At least that's the way I remember it while sitting here in my office and away from the garage. Not sure if this way would be easier than taking the blower out and I will say that I had the black vinyl dash off and the windshield out before I removed the instruments for rehab. It could be that without removing the windshield/dash, through the trunk is the preferred method.

John Meyer, proud dues paying member #322 (why don't we just lock people off the bulletin board if they don't cough up to join? No pay, no play sounds fair to me.)
    73 S with sporto, 73 T with 2.7 mfi, 73.5 targa and 69 912 in pieces

Hi Mike,

It sounds llike the knurled nuts must be very tight, it's probably easiest then to give your self has must space as possible and use some grips on the nuts to start moving them.

Good luck

Alan

Thanks to everybody

Hi there

It worked I've removed the blower as Brooke and others suggested, it was apiece of cake, only took a few minutes. There's enough slack in the cables etc. and one can easily reach ALL instruments.

Thanks to all
    Mike, member #841