Thread: $ to do a proper restoration

$ to do a proper restoration

Just found a great 72 sunroof S . GOLD. What a great car.

Rust free but needs everything. I plan on spending $60k+.

Can I do it for that?

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    For that amount of money it should look showroom when finished. Best wishes.
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

Isn't that an oxymoron? Great car but needs a full rustoration?

Go find rust bucket that has some good parts that you can put into the gold car.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Sounds like you forund my car, except mine only needs a repaint and valves.
    Good luck in the restoration. I have only seen about 15 gold cars in the 27 years that I have owned the car.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Hi Joe,

How much body work does it need? That always seems to be the most elusive amount to figure out ahead of the restoration. As mentioned above a budget of $60K should give you an excellent result. Keep us posted from time to time with photos.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Neil,
    That's not the way to go when you find a nice original car that is rust and crash free. You take what you have, and work with it. Due to the fact that it is rust and crash free, you don't need a donor car. There aren't many "great" cars out there. I think what Joe meant by "great", is that he has a excellent base car to start with. When you start with a rust bucket that has had some savage body work, you have a long way to go before you reach the top and start heading downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by VIper Green E
    Just found a great 72 sunroof S . GOLD. What a great car.

Rust free but needs everything. I plan on spending $60k+.

Can I do it for that?
    Let's see some pictures!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Yeah...pics & VIN please...maybe we can trace it's history...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell
    Neil,
    That's not the way to go when you find a nice original car that is rust and crash free. You take what you have, and work with it. Due to the fact that it is rust and crash free, you don't need a donor car. There aren't many "great" cars out there. I think what Joe meant by "great", is that he has a excellent base car to start with. When you start with a rust bucket that has had some savage body work, you have a long way to go before you reach the top and start heading downhill.
    Your right on. The car is a tired old 72S that needs everything, but it is a prime candidate for a concourse restoration.

A rusty car that needs a donor will never be right. You would spend 100K + doing a car like that.

Quote Originally Posted by neilk
    Isn't that an oxymoron? Great car but needs a full rustoration?
    Great Freudian slip ... "rustoration"!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100