Thread: New- need to learn valuations, can you comment on these adds

New- need to learn valuations, can you comment on these adds

Hi..

I am a newbie here. I love the early 911/912 901 body style, and I
    am looking at various cars FS locally. I have read in Excellence and
    elsewhere that these early cars are going up in value bigtime. Is all
    the hype true? Or is this something that people are just saying and
    thus it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I also see cars advertised locally that are nice and don't command
    too much, nice 911s and 912s with decent (not concours) restorations
    for around 10-12k. What do you make of the valuation of these cars?

Would something like this be a better car to buy now than a 74-77
    or SC since it has more of a chance to go up while the other cars
    have yet to bottom out?

For example these 2 cars look clean and reasonably priced...

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/129237750.html
    (click above to see the pic but posting the text here for archival purposes)
    "Matching numbers black on black 1971 Porsche 911T Targa for sale. 20K miles on rebuilt original engine with good compression and nice original interior. Original radio, stock zenith carbs and nice original Fuchs alloys. S trim package, turbo valve covers, stainless steel muffler and heat exchangers, turbo tie rod upgrade, original tool kit etc. Has some minor surface rust at bottom edge of rear windshield, but overall paint is in very good condition. Extra parts, including front bumper guards and deco trim.
    $12,900 obo or trade. Email with questions or call 415-205-0716."

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/128188349.html
    "Classic 1969 PORSCHE 911 T Coupe.
    Nice straght and solid early 911. Dry California car with an excellent body and floor pan. Mileage 130,500. Factory alloy wheels with Pirelli P6000's. Pioneer stereo. Paint is sun-faded, and needs to be redone.
    Matching number 2.0 litre 6 with dual Zenith carburetors. Previous owner bought it a few years ago for $10000 and spent another $5000 on service (within the last 1000 miles). The receipts show service was done in many areas including: New CV joints, CV boots, fuel pump, fuel filter, replaced front suspension pan, gas tank support, hoses, new axle shaft assemblies, brake service, brake light switch, adjust clutch, shifter replacement, hood shocks, new battery, front end alignment, etc. The compression (at 129,833 miles, or 1000 miles ago) was 150, 155, 160, 150, 170, 160 PSI. It does not appear to leak or burn oil. Car has a California title and is currently registered. Owner's manual included. $8995 "

If those cars passed an inspection, they'd be of fair price. Just remember that unless you get lucky, you are going to spend at least 20 grand on an early 911: all up front or in repair/restoration. If you are thinking in terms of a 911S, a lot more than that.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Current cars for sale and 911 versus 912

Marvin

Of the 2 cars you listed in your question.

The Black 71T targa recently was on Ebay and it only went to $10,100. The description is much more complete. With rust issues around the rear window and a color change. The seller states he does not know if it is around 80k or 180k on the car. yeah right.

By looking at the cars in question and riding or driving them you will gain more experience to feel confident as to when to spend the money on a PPI.

It can save you from a Big Mistake. And a early 912 will be less money in all aspects, including when it becomes time to buy a 911. It is still probably the most economical way to get into a 901 body style.

I physically saw the multi colored 912 you mention and it is a limited parts car. The unknown engine makes it even more dubious as to its current worth.

Good Luck
    Scooter

Marvin, as with any used car, it's about condition-condition-condition. Then with the early 911 you also need to toss in the desireability factor of any given model. As mentioned above, parts and labor to repair these cars is more expensive than with Detroit products. You're usually money ahead to lay out the $$ up front for a good example over paying less & planning to rehabilitate the car. However, for some who post here & on other Porsche sites, the restoration IS the thing they like doing.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The choice of an early 911 vs a later one really depends on what you want. Granted an early car has a much higher potential for appreciation. It also is, in my opinion, much more fun to drive.
    However the SC and later Carrera are excellent cars and will deliver alot of use and good times for not alot of money. Also those, 78-89 911's are somewhat cheap right now. For a driver, I would highly reccomend them.
    Having said that, mark me fully in the early column.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    By looking at the cars in question and riding or driving them you will gain more experience to feel confident as to when to spend the money on a PPI.
    I couldn't have said it better. If you're not familiar with the ins and outs of any vintage item (cars, antiques, whatever), you're bound to get burned if your $$$ are burning a hole in your pocket and you jump on the first thing you see that looks half right. Know where to look for rust (and if you find significant rust, run away!). Know what replacement parts cost and how hard they are to find. Become an expert in your purchase (or find someone you trust to check it over). A professional PPI may save you thousands of $$ in the long run.

Remember, Porsche is German for "give me all of your money".
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100