Thread: 70S Clutch Tool

Question 70S Clutch Tool

As you all probably know, the 70 model needs to have the flywheel screws released to allow the engine and trans to separate. Manual specs a tool but do any of you know a more common method or substitute tool?

Wait a second there fella....

First off you can't get at the Flywheel screws until the transmission, pressure plate, and clutch disk are removed.

So you probably mean the PP screws. But you don't even do that.

What you do is rotate the outer part of the throw-out bearing until it pops off the clutch fork and then you separate the trany and engine.

Do this is reverse to assemble.

I have a 2.2L power train right next to me if you need pics... but that will need to wait till tomorrow.

Regards,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Ironically, I am doing the same thing right at this moment. Could you be more specifc as to how get the clutch shaft seperated from the throwout bearing?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

There are two holes on the bell housing that you can look down onto the throw-out bearing. There are two wings on the throw-out bearing that you can reach at with a screw driver and spin around the bearing axis. When you get it to the proper orientation the clutch release fork will slip off the bearing any you can separate the transmission from the engine.

Now I know this is not the easiest to visualize but it is true. I can send pics tomorrow as I said.

Also if you turn the engine crank an undo the 9 pressure plate screws guess what happens???? The preasure plate will spring and jamb itself into the transmission side of the bell houseing. Then you are stuck again trying to figure out your way out of that mess.

Been there done that.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Incredible how simple that was! I owe you a beer!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

If I ever make it to Ohio i'll take you up on that. :-)

Greens..... did you manage to get through this?

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

That is the same process for all 2.2 models (1970-71).

Glad you got it sorted

Alan

Bob....I'm going to give this another try tomorrow. My car (I have nicknamed it the Piece of S) sat for a long time (about 20 years) so this part isn't turning as described. I have learned that patience is warranted. But I expect with a little coaxing it will give it up....I appreciate your help and will report back.

Just in case: The clutch cable needs to be removed/undone first, to take the pressure off the arm.

Alan

Talking

Bingo! The reason it wouldln't turn was that I had unbolted the engine and trans before turning the bearing. When I retightened the boltd, it put the slack back in it, easy as pie. Bob now you are also owed a beer in CT...thanks very much.

BTW Cornpanzer...I am a grad of Alter in Kettering. Many fond memories of Ohio roads in my first car and Porsche a 60B coupe (and then a 61 and then a 62 Cab). At that time, Dayton was fertile ground for old Porsche stuff due to WPAFB and the military people.