Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4mfi vs. 2.4cis power difference????

2.4mfi vs. 2.4cis power difference????

Ok guyz can anyone give me some hard facts on why a '72 2.4T mfi motor (w. fresh "E" p/c) gets left in the dust by a '73.5 2.4T cis motor w. 80k on it?

Both cars start right up, run smooth, basically purr like kittens. On hard acceleration neither car has any noticable smoke out the exhaust, no oil leaks on the ground etc...no tell tale signs of anything wrong on the mfi motor...all outward signs indicate a "happy" mfi engine...it's just that the cis motor has noticably more power.

Any thoughts or ideas out there...????

Thanks.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Are the gear sets the same?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Beats me..the spec books claim no Horsepower difference between 2.4 MFI T and 2.4 CIS T...I'd be asking some questions to whoever rebuilt the MFI engine... A rebuilt engine is only as good as the guy who rebuilt it.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

My experience is just the inverse. Beats me.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

There isn't any sneakiness involved, perhaps 2.7 P/Cs on the CIS car?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Yeah...something must be going on. Though "officially" the horsepower should be the same, real life bears Randy out...that the MFI car should have the edge.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

What exhausts are on these engines and what are they like? MFI engines particularly can be very sensitive to exhaust systems
    Also how many miles has the E done as some engines, can take some time to really free up. As much as 6000miles or more.
    What is the distributor like in the E MFI's are very sensitive to the distributor.
    kenikh brought up a VERY valid point too what gearsets are in both cars?
    Don't forget too that some CIS engines do go exceptionally well for seemingly no reason.

I have owned both, plus a 2.4 CIS with 2.7 conversion. The 2.7 with CIS, even with the small ports, is by far faster than either 2.4 T. The 2.4 CIS engine is easier to live with than the MFI because it's easier (and much cheaper) to fix, and less trouble prone. My 2.4 MFI car was, maybe, a little peppier once I got the MFI set, but I don't really recall any difference. I restored the MFI from Webers on my T in the early 90s, before this was fashionable. I was disappointed, because I decided at the end that I liked the Webers better.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I would think in a perfect world the MFI car would have a slight edge, or at least they would be matched but the MFI car feels faster because of the better throttle response.

MFI likely needs more attention though to keep in a perfect state of tune.
    [Early 911 Registry #772]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    I restored the MFI from Webers on my T in the early 90s, before this was fashionable. I was disappointed, because I decided at the end that I liked the Webers better.
    Really? My I can't stand the Webers on my car after driving a car with MFI. Maybe I need a tune up...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389