Thread: S Trim Reinstall

S Trim Reinstall

When we put the adjustable spring plates and '74 aluminum trailing arms on my car (yes, I've saved all of original pieces!), we took the side moldings off. Now I want to put them back on and I'm struggling with putting the rubber molding back on the aluminum bases. Any suggestions or do I just have to buy new ones?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

you might want to try a lot of rubber protectant as lube, and a WHOLE lot of patience. Make sure everything is clean to keep friction points to a minimum. Since the pieces have to be mounted to the car the old, soak the metal in hot water in the bathtub won't work. If all else fails, you may want to go with new. BE PATIENT - inch by inch.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I've done this many times and at this point can probably do both sides in about ten minutes. You won't need new ones unless the lip on the sides that holds it in is torn. I use a twisting/rocking motion working side to side a little at a time. It really does go on fairly easy. I recently replaced the rubber inserts on the front and rear bumpers which is a little harder job. I ended up putting the rubber in the oven and heated to 140 degrees or so. Worked like a champ! Must be done while the wife is away.

Good luck.

John
    Early S Registry #630
    71 911S Irish Green
    65 911 #301826, Silver
    57 Speedster #83702 Aquamarine Blue

When I did my springplate last year, I had the same issue. Slow and steady pressure seemed to work the best. As noted above be sure the rubber is properly seated inthe groove to prevent it from being cut up.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry, try some silicon grease lightly applied to the back of the rubber. The whole thing. It will help you to slip it in place somewhat by overcoming some of the friction and it will prolong the life of the rubber. I also use it on rubber gaskets in RF transmission waveguide for air and water seals. It gives me a good 15-20 years life on those and they are only 1/8 in thick max. It's a good idea for the backside of all the rubber trim with the exception of the side window rubbers.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

You can also use "baby powder" to help lubricate the rubber. The powder is nice because it does not leave any wet lubricant on the rubber.
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    try some silicon grease lightly applied to the back of the rubber.
    I appreciate all of the helpful comments. Would I find silicone grease at Home Depot or Kragen?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Should be able to find it. Pretty common stuff. I use 3M.

I removed all my exterior trim rubber, cleaned it up with regular detergent and then after dry wiped the backsides down with the grease. A very light film is all you need. It helps keep the rubber from drying out. If you've seen original rubber removed from trim, the places where it is most cracked is the interior at the rounded ends, even though it has less exposure than the exterior.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586