Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Green Hornet

The Emory clan definitely has "the touch", don't they????
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Compare this outlaw to this one currently for sale at VIR for $100k :

http://www.virgallery.com/Carimages2/HotRod2.html

The craftsmanship may be similar but the "Green Hornet" has style by the bucketload.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

I agree Carl...The Green Hornet has style. My prejudice shows here...I've always had a fondness for the lines of the "A" coupes....
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    I received some additional information from RM Auctions about The Green Hornet. One of their notes says, "Presented with the '356 Outlaw' medallions by Gary Emory - father of the Outlaw movement."

Realizing I know who Gary Emory is, do any of you west coasters get anything else out of this "medallion" thing? I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the car and its history.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Basically, it's like a car badge...presented by Gary to the owners of cars that he likes. Quite an honor among the hot rod 356 community.

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    The Emory clan definitely has "the touch", don't they????
    Paul, do you remember the article in Excellence about that car? I must have been around 1996. If I remember correctly the Emory son built that car and did an extended trip with his wife and young son while towing a small trailer behind. The article and that car had a huge affect on me, and led to me finding a vintage 1966 Airstream and started my quest to find another Speedster to replace one that I sold in the 70's. When I discovered what had happened with Speedster prices in the ensuing 20 years, and that I could get a nice 911 for Beck replica Speedster prices, I ended up going that route. So I guess that I can blame the Emorys for my current Porsche obsession.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I remember that article indeed! The lines that made me laugh related to when Rod Emory had it parked near the Pebble Beach concours...and Porsche factory old timers were standing around it, debating about when they built it.
    One year at the "camp out", they had this car on a lift...one damned impressive machine! I guess everybody has a favorite body style for each Porsche line. I just love the A coupes...later 356's made "improvements", no doubt about that, especially mechanically. But, oh...those lines of the A coupe. For some reason I can't define, they just turn my crank! It used to be that the A coupes were somewhat affordable in good condition.
    Too bad that's going by the wayside. Speedsters? Groan....I know what you mean.

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    This may help those who missed the article you are referring to...

http://www.partsobsolete.com/Outlaws/cab.htm
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    I just love the A coupes...later 356's made "improvements", no doubt about that, especially mechanically. But, oh...those lines of the A coupe. For some reason I can't define, they just turn my crank!
    I know exactly what you mean. A lot of the really cool details on the early cars got sort of homogenized as the production run went on, probably for ease of assembly...but they definitely lost some of that early preA and A feel.

It kind of reminds me of the difference between the Boxster concept car and what the production car looked like. I was bitterly disappointed the first time that I saw one on the street, a real pig compared with the concept. (with appologies to any offended Boxster owners - it's a nice car - but I can't help but think "what if".)
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

That's it! Thanks Ed.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823