Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I can't believe you let this get "Down Under"

Exactly who owned the car at that time as I am trying to validate the history.

According to what I know it should have been Michael Janke who did quite a bit of work to the brakes, clutch etc after the car sat in his garage for 5 plus years I think. He bought it in 1994.

Nice to hear AAron gave it the thumbs up, it certainly pulls very well I drove it for about 2 hours today and gave it some stick after it warmed up and it handled it all without any problems. Its still a bit floaty in the front end, even after the new shocks, but its sitting fairly high and the shocks are adjustable so I will set them a little firmer and lower the height a little and see what happens then.

Pity your not on the road but all the more fun when you get it there!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    According to what I know it should have been Michael Janke who did quite a bit of work to the brakes, clutch etc after the car sat in his garage for 5 plus years I think. He bought it in 1994.
    You are correct sir! He was big into Alfas before getting the T. He said that he just wasn't driving the T enough to warrent keeping it! Can you Dig it? He was a real nice guy, I liked him a lot. Was very upfront about the car with me.

That rear valance really adds to the Ivory. That's the only color of car I've liked them on.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

More info on this car:

I bought the car in about 1994 from a dealer in Minnesota. It was January & about -30F outside & about 3ft of snow. I bought it at first sight & had it shipped home (about 70 miles). I didn't run it until the next spring. It had about 44,000 miles on it.

After purchasing it I drove it a bit each summer, but didn't really put any miles on it. It sat with a stuck clutch for about 5 years. (The clutch disk was frozen against the flywheel). While it sat the only thing I did was start the car & run it warm & push it from one side of the garage to the other. It was in my garage the whole time. In 2002 & 2003 I did the brakes & clutch & started driving it again. When I sold it to Martin (via Robert) the car needed some TLC. It was stored long enough that hoses were cracking, some of the weather stripping was going bad & other typical storage related issues. I figured I'd never get that stuff done, so I figured to get the car to someone who would. It sounds as though quite a bit of that stuff is taken care of.

The engine number is the same as what is written into the maintenance book, so the engine should be original. Aaron figures it may have been apart once, as the nuts holding the case together don't look original. Don't know why though.

As far as the history, the car was represented to me as a 3 owner car, with the first two owners related to each other & in New York. The third owner was here in MN. I bought it on consignment from a local dealer who was a friend of that 3rd owner. I did not meet the previous owner. The papers that I had were consistent with that story. The maintenance book is stamped in NY up to 1973. The windshield had a 1980 NY state registration sticker on it.

I'm sure that the car was in MN in before 1984 or 1985. The 3rd owners name & address are on his 1993 insurance card that I found in the glove box.

In 1985 I was teaching Tool & Die at a Technical College in central MN. One of my students (John Durst) talked about his dad's perfect, mint, white 911. His dad owned a machine shop in Minneapolis. The previous owners insurance card says 'Charlie Durst'. I'm sure that it is the same car that my student talked about & that I bought it from Durst via the dealership. Last I know, Charlie Durst is living in Ely, MN.

--Mike Janke

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    I still kick myself for passing on that car when it was still in Wisconsin. But, then again, if I'd have bought that car I wouldn't be the owner of a 70S.

It needed some work when I drove it but, you previous three have spiffied her up nice. Crazy, two and a half years ago it was 13k. I don't even want to know what it turned for last.

So that is the car that was at my shop a couple years ago!........I regret it as much as you do not giving $13.5K for it.....

I've been wondering where it went........I'm glad to see it's in good hands.......congrats!
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Here's another shot from it's days in Canada.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

The car has since moved on again from Clyde's guardianship. I believe an ex-pat Aussie living in Spain now owns it. It was driven recently in the Classic Adelaide tarmac rally and may soon be shipped off to Spain. Santiago, look out for this one !

Clyde may be willing to share more info about its new caretaker.
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

It's good to know the car will not have to spend the rest of its life upside down.

Tell you what. The interior on that car blew me away! The only deal breaker for me was the color. I love the tan in some color combos but, not as much in the Ivory. Had the interior been black and in the same condition I'd have bought it.

Hi Mike! Man, that was one long drive to go see a car. Rapid City to Minneapolis and back in a day and a half.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

here are pics of the 71T at last month's Classic Adelaide Tarmac rally where it competed in the Touring Stage (I believe).
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold