Thread: Trunk Release keys (For Targas)

Trunk Release keys (For Targas)

Does anyone know if the trunk latch key and the ignition keys are to be the sam e? Or was is Valet style and a different one and if that is the case was it at least the same blank?

And while I am on the topic how about the glove box.

I was never able to lock either on my car and now I am diving into getting this sorted.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

The black key will operate all locks, the red key which is the valet key will only operate the door locks and ignition switch.

What about a 67 Targa? Glove box and trunk release, and was there a valet key for 67? Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought I'd expand it to all early 911s.

Rick

Thanks RVDV,

Are you sure this is the case with a 1970, which is what I guess I am most interested in? The lock cylinder for the glove box seems to be much shorter. Not long enough for the key to insert fully. Then again maybe it only operates with the first 1/2-3/4 of the key?

I never had the original RED/Black blanks but now I just might spring for them and take the whole lot to a locksmith to figure out.

Regards,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Bob,

A few years ago I decided to make my Glove Box and Targa Lock work again. I brought the tumblers to my locksmith and had them re-keyed so they all work with my black key. While I was there, I asked him about the difference between a driver and valet (red) key. He showed me both. The Driver key has a groove on the side that matches a ridge in the trunk and glove box locks. The Valet key is missing this groove so it will not go in. Clever, eh?
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks again Harry,

So the black key is the driver Key and the red is the valet key?

The only key I have is one that has the groove so it should operate all my locks I guess. Since it doesn't I guess it means that I need get the trunk and the glove box retumbled as my key inserts fully into the trunk release.

That being said I used to have a Red Key and it did use to work in the ignition and door too? Always a puzzle sorting these things out.

Bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

On my 72 Targa the black key works all the locks - ignition, 2 doors, glove box and trunk release.

And it's cool!

I took my cylinders for the trunk release and the glove box apart. They were so bunged up with a crustly lubricant that the tumblers had to be freed with a screw driver. Not being able to insert my key had nothing to do with it not being the correct key at all.

After ultrasonically cleaning everything and getting things running smooth a couple of tumblers didn't match my key. Time to send them to the locksmith for a tune up. They should be able to set things straight from here pretty easily.

Thanks All.

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Who Needs a locksmith?

On the way home I realized that I could just remove a tiny bit off of the protruding tumbler(s). After only a few light swipes with the file both locks are working. Looks like this is how the locksmiths do this anyhow as there were existing file marks on the barrel.

I am so please I think I will spring the $30 for the OEM key blanks.

Thanks guys,

Bob
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    On the early Targas, the ignition key and front deck key are similar, but the front deck has one fewer pins in the tumlbler. One could cut an ignition key blank to work the front deck lock (or vice versa), but there's no way to key them alike.

For more details--or actual keys--contact Tony Euganio at (610) 461-0519
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet