Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB Roll Bar Options

More than Original

SWB Roll Bar Options

I am planning on having a roll bar installed in my car in the near future and wanted to get some opinions on the various brands, styles and installation choices. I am leaning towards the Auto Power bar right now since they seem to be a trusted company and are located close by in San Diego. I also like the optional harness bar and the price. After the bar I will install a set of the Rallye ST seats with 5 point harnesses so I need to configure the belts as well.

What's the best roll bar for a SWB? And how should it be installed, any recommendations in So Cal? What about belts, hardware and mounting locations?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Bret,
    I am going to give TRE a call when I'm ready for the rollbar. I know a friend who installed one in his SWB and is very satisfied.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

More than Original
    I knew some one would mention TRE, I will give them a call once I gather some more info.

Bob did you install an RS carpet set in your car? I am not sure what to carpet and what to keep paneled in the rear. I will delete the seats but I am not sure about the side panels and I like the look of the rear deck. The RS carpets are for ‘69+ so I am not sure how to fit them. I may just do the standard felt and keep the panels.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Bret,
    I believe I have pics of the TRE rollbar in a SWB at home. And yeah, I have the RS carpet kit for my car. Will post pics of that later tonight as well.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Guys,
    At the risk of being politically incorrect, please keep in mind that a roll bar installed in a street car is a receipe for disaster. It may look cool but if you get into an accident your head will hit it...and if won't bounce off it. It will split open.

Sorry to be so graffic but when I went thru SCCA race school they did a demonstration with a watermelon...you guesed it. A roll bar padded with roll bar padding (not plumbing pipe insulation which looks the same but isn't) protected the driver with a helmet. Again, "protected with a helmet". If you don't drive on the street with a helmet don't put a roll bar in a street car...expecially without rollbar padding.

The roll bar won't give. Your head will.

Hey Richard,
    I recently learned that the TRE R model is designed such that the roll bar is further back with your exact concerns in mind. I know you and I have discussed it before in person and quickly dismissed the idea based on your advice then I saw the TRE model which renewed my interest. I'll have to find those pics.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

More than Original
    I have sent off an email to TRE inquiring about the roll bar and will share the info once received. The roll bar I hope will do more than just look cool, but if it's in heads way I'll pass.

If I pass on a roll bar what have SWB owners done for mounting a harness?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

I have a 3 point harness which I am having "vintage-ified" right now. Pick it up later today. I'll take updated pics this weekend.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

More than Original
    I will post more info later as I need to run but quickly TRE offers a a roll bar called the Club Sport 2 that according to them "moved it back in the chassis, lowered just a little for roof clearance , then added the cross bracing, diagonal, and welded in place shoulder belt guides on the main hoop section" this sounds like the ticket.

Gotta run.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Nooooooo!

Please, for all that is holy do yourself a favor and get a 6 point - not a 5 harness.

Think of the forces involved in getting your body to slip UNDER the shoulder belts considering their original directions. Now imagine this force on your privates... Put that pain into your thigh muscles rather than your groin.

If you ever hit hard enough to need the anti-sub belt, you will thank yourself for having the load on your thighs and not the jewels.

Five point harness should be outlawed. Oh, and this goes for the ladies too.
    tadd