Thread: Best way to ship a longblock

Best way to ship a longblock

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to ship a 911 longblock?

I have never done this and have ZERO idea where to start. Palette or crate? Company/ies that people have used and trust? What to expect as far as price is concerned.

Thanks, fellas.

-M
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Marco-

Engines are so heavy you have to go with a "Freight forwarding" company like Roadway Express or Yellow Freight. If the buyer lives close to an airport, you could try Forward Air. You deliver it to their airport terminal and the buyer picks up from his. The engine can be bolted or strapped to a pallet, but I would recommend crating, as I had a palletized engine delivered with damage to the top of it from something falling on it. Keep in mind that freight forwarders usually quote "terminal to terminal," and you have to pickup and deliver from their closest terminal. They will add $$$ for door-to-door delivery and for liftgate service at either end, if you want that. Without a forklift or rolling engine hoist to load/unload it at each end, you may need to pay the extra $$$.

It cost $450 to ship a 400 lb. engine coast to coast last time I did it. They wanted $95 extra at each end for liftgate service, which I was able to avoid. Less weight and less distance is cheaper. Fuel costs have gone way up, though, so freight charges are increasing daily.

good luck,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

A few years ago I had to ship a LOT of parts to the east coast for Evren. From there, they boarded a cargo vessel, headed to Istanbul. I discovered a specialty company in a nearby town that was a life saver. All they do is build shipping crates to custom specs, pack the goodies inside. Evren & I got clever, since he wanted to build a work bench. The crate was made of top quality 3/4" USA plywood & lumber. All designed so the crate could be converted into workbench. I took pics of the finished crate before shipping. This was good, because somebody in Istanbul noticed the crate material, repacked Evren's parts in another crate. He had to do some screaming, photo evidence in hand, but he eventually got his parts AND the "supercrate". Does this qualify us as building material smugglers? Anyway, I digressed...you might do a bit of searching down there. I'm sure there would be a counterpart to "Albany Box"...they really did a great job of crate building for us. Well worth the $ paid, IMO. (edit) Once all was in their hands, I had no worries..the crated parts were picked up by the trucking company at their loading dock.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Wrap it for war in shrink-wrap, either crate it or band it to a pallet. Use a trucking company like Lynden Transport (don't know if they are in your area) I have had a whole room full of furniture trucked from Seattle for a couple hundred. Obvioulsy that is not coast to coast, but Wa to Ak....

Tom is right, most liley best rate is terminal to terminal with hold for P/U...

I'd suggest a sturdy crate. Poor fork lift operators have been known to shove a fork right through a weak crate, damaging the contents. The 3/4" plywood used on Evren's crate served us well. It had obviously seen a bit of beating around by the time it made Istanbul. "Hell for stout" can't hurt, other than adding weight. But considering the value of the engine?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I used a company called freighters and craters (I think) they picked motor up built shipping crate and delivered coast to coast for $750, this was a couple of years ago so I am sure prices have increased.
    Phil

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. If I run into any trouble I know whom to ask.

-M
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687