Thread: Well, we're gonna save my T

Well, we're gonna save my T

Some of you may remember my tale of woe about buying a car in california sight unseen, bull#$% PPI, that turned out to be made from 2 cars (72S nose and 73.5T ass). You may also remember that we pulled a putrefied rat from the motor, redid the CIS and clutch BEFORE finding out about the splicing, so I was stuck with the car... (I found 2 more rats since, by the way, I am seriously thinking about a RATMOBILE personalized plate)

For month I've debated what to do with it, part it out, save the long hood bits for an SC backdate project, or just have it as a beater (which I did but something needs to be done). Dave White from the relatively famous Dave white autosports group has agreed to take her in around June after he finished a couple race cars and his fabricator is going to make and weld a full cage in it. It's going to be thorough and go thru the dash corners (my dash is crap anyway), unite the front and rear suspension points, in the rear almost all the way to the motor mounts, in the front with a crosss brace between the shock towers too for good measure.

The cage will be made less obtrusive inside by moving the "behind the seats" diagonal further back and not having a bar across the door (that can be added later,we'll just have a tube along the roof line and one along the sill). That'll pretty much guarantee the car will never "titanic" on me even if it were made of plastic, and little by little I will turn it into a race car. I already beat up my boxster practically once a month at Sebring, so why not...

For now there is no sense in going nuts as the 2.4 motor still runs great, but when it goes, my options are open... ;-) I'm excited! The car will be stiffer than Michael Jackson at a cub scout convention after this (sorry, I am starting to overuse this joke), and that will allow for a good suspension setup and corner balancing to stick ! I plan to stay with a narrow body look, more 911R than 2.7RS if you know what I mean... I hope that is possible in terms of rear tires, but either way, I'd rather have fun at 80 mph than at 130 in a modern car...

And yeah, I'll get painted...Me thinks slate grey, as soons as my buddy sets up his paint booth !

Pictures of the project to follow this summer ! Thanks for your advice, which was to make it a racer, incidentally !

So many questions, so few answers....

"WILLARD" might be a good plate

Sorry to hear you got a bump deal. That stinks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

And it looks so good in that pic: eek: I applaud your courage,and wish you well.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

It's good of you to save the car - even a T.

I hate to see that nice Burgundy go away tho ...

Don't "miss" the burgundy, it's actually a poo-brown metallic, not even a stock color, a brush repaint of a blue 72S nose and a sepia brown 73.5 butt!

That goes to show you one should never trust digital pictures !!! ;-)
    Nor buy sight unseen !

Dave White does great work. Don't know how far you are away from Orlando but if you need an extra hand I'll try to make the time.
    Best
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Thanks Rick ! I'm in Tampa... I probably won't pester you for physical help, but I might ask for advice now and then ! I don't recall your car but since you're an R-Gruppe guy I imagine it must be fun !

Incidentally, the season is probably over for this car as a daily driver now... Too damn hot !!! It's off to dave White next month anyway, I might as well start gutting the interior !

Sure is HOT early this year. When everyone else is washing the winter dust off, we are ready to put them up. Glad to help with anything. Don't forget those progress pics and keep us posted.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739