Page 173 of 268 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2676

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS Cars for Sale

RS Porsche Classic Factory Restoration Quail

On the Porsche Factory stand at the Quail a 1973 RS with "Classic Factory Restoration"was shown.Quite embarrassing for a factory restoration that it had a wrong (angled and not round) rear cross member panel.

IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg

Depends when they did the resto. When I did my '73 S bodywork, that's all Porsche, Dansk and Restoration Design sold new. And there was a lack of good used ones. Now I see RD at least has the curved one too. I may try to replace mine at some point.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Probably the most gorgeous color on a early 911, only my opinion.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Seeblau

I agree Rick..
    Attached Images Attached Images

You say wrong panel,it may not be if its a late build it could have possibly been fitted,as was black crome window surrounds i have seen round panels on the 74 carrera,and this shape on late 73.
    At porsche classic Stuttgart workshop we had quite a discussion about this panel.

Simply stunning in that colour

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    You say wrong panel,it may not be if its a late build it could have possibly been fitted,as was black crome window surrounds i have seen round panels on the 74 carrera,and this shape on late 73.
    At porsche classic Stuttgart workshop we had quite a discussion about this panel.

Yes, the single fan strap bolt and winged electrical cover nuts indicate a late chassis build date. However, I still think the panel is a repro. My very late build RS (June 73) does not have the angled panel although it does have the small bump on the left side. I can prove it is the original panel too.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

[QUOTE=bell 904;1027848]On the Porsche Factory stand at the Quail a 1973 RS with "Classic Factory Restoration"was shown.Quite embarrassing for a factory restoration that it had a wrong (angled and not round) rear cross member panel.

To be fair the signage states "Mechanical Restoration" and outlines specifics. It does not state the car underwent a total restoration with porsche Classic. Even if so it often is up to owners as to the exact extent of the work.

Color could make one overlook a lot of "faults"

Gary Cox
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

1958 356A Speedster, Silver/Black
    1967 912, Aga Blue/Black

My understanding is the rased flat area did come in later in model 73 and later ducktails had area that correspond. Provision for an option for plunger switch alarm to trigger if opening rear? The previous profiles would've made a plunger switch more hit and miss arrangement.

However the different curve shape at both ends was changed later to better allow access for tool on the engine mounts bolts ... I think I once read this.

It is the notable different curve (rather than the presence of the square raised area per se) that points to this example being a later panel. As stated, I suppose it was the available replacement panel at the time of the restoration or rear accident damage repair.

Despite Porsche having records of running changes etc I would not look to them as arbiters of the evolution on finer points. In theory they ought to be the absolute touchstone but they aren't really on the detail in way they could be.

Porsche Classic has no need to be embarrassed of their Mechanical Restoration work on this car. Just the opposite.

This RS was enjoyed by its multi-decade owner as an autocross entrant. For autocross, the owner swapped in: aluminum trailing arms, wider wheels, a '72 style front oil cooler, fiberglass bumpers, and a limited slip differential. And, he removed the horns and other superfluous parts. As a labor of love, the owner wrapped, labeled and saved all of the original parts that he swapped out.

Early in its life, the owner backed into a hay bale and slightly damaged the rear cross member panel -- and it was replaced by others, in period. The owner saved almost every part that ever touched this car in its 45-year life, including worn brake pads, spark plugs and fan belts -- and further including its damaged original cross member panel -- which I can confirm is the rounded type.

Just as their sign says -- Porsche Classic returned all of the original parts to the car, but chose not drive the car at the Monterey and PCA events on its original wheels and 1972 dated tires. Porsche Classic did not modify or restore the car's body or interior. They performed a Mechnical Restoration. The MFI system was rebuilt and re-calibrated, and the engine starts and runs like new. The car otherwise now displays most of its original paint, its original interior, and almost all of its factory delivery parts.
    Looking for Porsche motor, engine, case 902173 3880016 6300080 6301557 6308504 6310001 6310922 6311032 6520673